Brussels Sprout Carbonara
* 4 strips of thick cut bacon
* 1 lb of Brussels sprouts
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano
* salt and pepper to taste
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 shallot minced or onion
* 1/4 tsp red pepper flake.
* 1 cup frozen or fresh green peas
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Set the skillet aside.
2. Meanwhile use a mandoline, or knife and shred the brussel sprouts or cut in thin strips.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Using the drippings from the bacon add the garlic and shallot and saute for about a minute. Add the brussel sprouts and peas, season with salt and pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the sprouts are tender and start to brown on the edges. (about 7-10 minutes) Add in the bacon.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to slightly cool. Slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the brussels sprouts. Stir until the eggs form a creamy sauce, then return to heat and cook as needed to ensure the egg is cooked but not curdled.