LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- Kentuckians can help prevent drug abuse and theft by participating in the DEA National Prescription Take Back Day.
On Saturday, April 28, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration will be partnering with local law enforcement to collect expired or unwanted medication from residents.
Residents can drop off their medications from 10 AM to 2 PM on Saturday at 16 locations throughout Central Kentucky.
There is no charge to residents for dropping off expired or unwanted medications and the process in anonymous.
Here are some instructions from the DEA:
- Participants may dispose of medication in its original container or by removing the medication from its container and disposing of it directly into the disposal box located at the drop off location.
- All solid dosage pharmaceutical products and liquids in consumer containers will be accepted. Liquid products, such as cough syrup, should remain sealed in original containers. The depositor should ensure that the cap is tightly sealed to prevent leakage.
- Intravenous solutions, injectables and syringes will not be accepted due to potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens.
- Illicit substances such as marijuana or methamphetamine are not a part of this initiative and should not be placed in collection containers.
- Prescription and over-the-counter pills, vitamins, medicated ointments and lotions, and pet medication will be accepted.
The drop off location in Lexington will be at Kentucky American Water, 2300 Richmond Rd.
Other locations participating in the Take Back Day include:
Cynthiana – Harrison County Sheriff’s Office, 113 W. Pike St.
Danville – City Hall, 445 W. Main St.
Frankfort – Franklin County Health Department, 851 East-West Connector
Harrodsburg – Mercer County Sheriff’s Office, 207 W. Lexington St.
Midway – Midway City Hall, 101 E. Main St
Nicholasville – Walmart, 1024 N. Main St.
Paris – Walmart, 305 Letton Dr.
Richmond – Kentucky State Police Post 7, 699 Eastern Bypass
Winchester – Winchester Police Department, 16 S. Maple St.
Versailles – Kroger, 212 Kroger Way