How To Make the Creamiest Mashed Cauliflower
Serves 8 to 10
What You Need
2 (16-ounce) packages riced cauliflower, or 1 large head cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Measuring cup and spoons
Spatula or wooden spoon
- Finely chop the cauliflower (for whole cauliflower only). Halve the cauliflower through the stem. Cut a “V” shape around the core to remove the core from each half. Finely chop the cauliflower. The smaller the pieces, the faster the cauliflower will cook and the creamier the finished dish will be.
- Sauté the cauliflower. Melt the butter in a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower and sauté, stirring regularly, until the cauliflower has lightened in color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Boil until tender. Add the water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reserve the cooking liquid, then drain. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the cauliflower.
- Mash or purée. Place the drained cauliflower and reserved cooking liquid back in the pot. Blend using an immersion blender to desired consistency. Serve hot.