LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – An elderly Lexington woman died overnight from smoke inhalation after being found unresponsive in her burning home, according to the Fayette County coroner.
The victim was identified as 79-year old Dixie O’Nan.
An alert neighbor is credited with getting firefighters to the scene of the fire in the 3400 block of Bellmeade Road around 1:15 a.m. Tuesday.
Firefighters say they found O’Nan in the back of the home. She was rushed to the hospital where she died shortly after arriving, according to the coroner.
It took dozens of firefighters 40-minutes to knock down the fire.
“It was a difficult fire,” says Major Trevor Cox. “It had run through a lot of different places throughout the home, so they had a tough fight. Crews worked really hard and did a really good job in getting that fire out.”
Investigators are trying to determine where the fire started and what started it.
Firefighters say they did not hear smoke detectors going off in the house and are not sure if the devices were working properly.