RICHMOND, Ky. (WTVQ) – It’s going to be a big week for Eastern Kentucky football. After close loses to a pair of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams on the road to begin the season, EKU will play its first home game against Ohio Valley Conference rival Tennessee Tech on Saturday at 6 p.m.
That would be plenty of excitement for Colonel fans, but that’s not all. EKU will unveil a statue of College Football Hall of Fame coach Roy Kidd on Saturday. Kidd won 314 games, including two national championships, as the head coach of the Colonels from 1964 to 2002.
The football team that started the championship tradition at Eastern Kentucky — the 1967 Grantland Rice Bowl Champions — will be honored at the game as well.
In addition, fans will get their first look at the newly constructed east side of Roy Kidd Stadium. The project includes over 3,000 new bleacher seats, and a concourse that features modern concessions and restroom facilities. A new pedway from the hill beyond the north end zone leads onto the concourse level. The student section will now be on this side of the stadium, conveniently located to the nearby new student tailgating lot, which surrounds the Fitness and Wellness center.
The Colonel walk will begin at 3:45 p.m. and travel through the Colonel Club section of the Alumni Coliseum lot and through the student tailgating lot at the Fitness and Wellness Center.
The live radio broadcast of the game is available in the Richmond area on WCYO 100.7 FM, and can be heard worldwide on EKUSports.com. A live free video broadcast is available on OVCDigitalNetwork.com.
INSIDE THE SERIES
– Eastern Kentucky leads the all-time series 53-20. The Colonels are 28-9 against the Golden Eagles in games played in Richmond.
– The last four games in Richmond have been decided by an average margin of 11 points, with the Colonels winning three of them.
– In their first two games of the season, against a pair of FBS teams, the Colonels lost by an average margin of just 12.5 points. In the season-opener at Western Kentucky, EKU closed to within 10 twice in the second half and drove to the WKU six yard line as time expired in the fourth quarter of a 14-point loss. Eastern led for nearly three quarters at UK before the Wildcats staged a comeback.
– Ryan Markush caught 10 passes for 98 yards at Kentucky, the first time an EKU player registered 10 or more catches in a game since Orlandus Harris at Chattanooga on Sept. 18, 2010.
– Kobie Grace finished with 15 tackles and two pass break-ups at Kentucky. He leads the OVC and is 30th in the nation with 10.0 tackles per game.
– EKU finished with three sacks against Kentucky after recording four at Western Kentucky to start the season. Eastern’s seven sacks combined this season (3.5 per game), against two FBS teams, ranks first in the conference and 13th in the nation.
– While the defense has registered seven sacks, the EKU offensive line has only allowed two, one in each game this season. That’s the 23rd fewest sacks allowed in the nation.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
– Tennessee Tech is 0-3 to start the season.
– The Golden Eagles lost 41-14 at home to then 25th ranked Western Illinois. TTU then suffered road losses at Kennesaw State (27-14) and at FBS Ball State (28-13).
– Tech has lost 114 yards rushing the ball this season and is averaging just 80 yards per game on the ground. However, the Golden Eagles are passing for 263 yards per game.
– Tennessee Tech has turned the ball over 10 times in three games, including seven interceptions. Its opponents have only turned the ball over three times.
– TTU has allowed nine sacks this season and only registered one.
– Golden Eagle quarterback Andre Sale has completed 61 passes for 759 yards. Wide receiver Dontez Byrd has 20 receptions for 278 yards.
DOWN THE ROAD
– EKU takes to the road for a conference game at Southeast Missouri on Sept. 30.
The ticket booths at Roy Kidd Stadium will open at 4:30 p.m. Tickets are always available at online.
EKU Football Parking Information
Whether you are a proud member of the EKU Athletics family or a fan of the opposition, we strive to provide you an enjoyable experience during your visit to Eastern Kentucky University. The following parking and tailgating regulations below are intended to ensure your safety and comfort. Please keep sidewalks and driveways clear of obstructions, respect our campus grounds and please follow the directives of our parking attendants and game day staff.
EKU Football Parking Lot Locations
• There are numerous and convenient parking options for all fans on game day at Roy Kidd Stadium.
• Colonel Club Lot – Located in the Alumni Coliseum Lower and Upper lots across the street from Roy Kidd Stadium, Colonel Club season ticket members have exclusive access to both of these lots with their valid Colonel Club parking pass.
Parking is on a first come, first serve basis and is limited to one (1) parking space. Additional parking spaces cannot be saved. Parking passes must be displayed in vehicles at all times. Colonel Club members who wish to tailgate in the Lower AC lot are restricted to the area around their vehicle and must not infringe upon adjacent parking spaces, block driveways or impede traffic. Colonel Club members who wish to tailgate and require more space than allowed in the Lower AC lot are encouraged to access the Upper AC lot or additional parking passes may be purchased for $125.00.
The Upper and Lower AC lots will open for unloading the Friday before game day from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Both lots will open on game day six (6) hours prior to kickoff. For the Homecoming Game, the Colonel Club lot will open at 10:00 a.m. and will not be available for unloading the Friday night before game day.
• Bluegrass RV Zone – New for the 2017 season, EKU is proud to announce the addition of the Bluegrass RV Zone, designed to provide EKU football fans a unique and unforgettable tailgating experience. Located in the Lower AC lot and steps away from Roy Kidd Stadium, the Bluegrass RV Zone is available for both single game and full season passes. Single game passes start at $50 per game, which include two (2) general admission tickets for the game. Full season passes are available for $200 and includes two (2) general admission tickets for each home game. The Bluegrass RV Zone will open at 6:00 p.m. the Friday before game day and will close at 3:00 p.m. the Sunday following game day. Reservations for the Bluegrass RV Zone are required at least three (3) days in advance and your space may be reserved by calling (859) 622-2046.
• EKU Student & Greek Life Parking and Tailgating – New for the 2017 season, EKU Student and Greek Life Parking will be located at the Fitness and Wellness Center Parking Lot. The EKU Student and Greek Life Parking Lot will open on game day six (6) hours prior to kickoff.
• General Parking – EKU provides general parking free of charge for the following parking lots located on campus, Brockton, Hanlon, Dizney, Commonwealth, Alumni Coliseum back lots or in parking lots across the EKU bypass. All general parking lots will open on game day six (6) hours prior to kickoff.
• Media Parking – Credentialed media members should park at the Greg Adams Tennis Center parking lot located across the EKU bypass.
EKU Football Parking Regulations
• Parking is permitted only in designated spaces. Parking on islands, medians or berms is prohibited.
• Parking spaces are available on a first come, first serve basis and cannot be saved.
• Tailgating is only allowed in areas where the flow of traffic is not obstructed.
• No sale of food, beverages or novelties are permissible without proper permit.
• No open flames other than gas grills.
• Waste food items and trash must be disposed of in appropriate containers, which are provided throughout the grounds.
• No personal motorized carts are allowed.
• Only small weighted (12’x12′ maximum) tents may be used, no staking is allowed.
• Music should be confined to your tailgate area.
• Protect your belongings, EKU will not assume responsibility for lost or stolen items.
ATTEND THE GAME – While we encourage the fun and comradery that tailgating produces, please be cognizant that a football game is being played at Roy Kidd Stadium. Our student-athletes need you in the stands! Please show respect for our EKU student-athletes by attending the game.
For additional information or questions, please call (859) 622-2122.
Changes have been made to improve student seating during the reconstruction of Roy Kidd Stadium:
• Student seating will now be in sections J, K, L. Students may also sit on the hill in the north end zone.
• Students can enter the stadium through Gate 1 or Gate 6. Students need their official school ID out and ready to be allowed admittance to the game.
EKU’s Touchdown Terrace with beer sales will be open for Saturday’s game. Please note the following information:
• Will open at 5 p.m.
• Located in the north end zone, will be open only to fans 21 years and older.
• Beer will only be available for purchase inside the Touchdown Terrace.
• Fans will be limited to one beer per transaction and will not be permitted to leave the enclosed area with their purchase.
• Cash and credit cards accepted
• All beer sales will end at the conclusion of the third quarter.
ADA Accessible Ticket Information
• The ADA accessible seating area at Roy Kidd Stadium in Section J, N, and R of the east side of the stadium.
• Patrons must purchase a General Admission ticket to watch the game from this area.
• Patrons are welcome to have a companion sit with them in the area. Folding chairs are provided for any guests that need them.
• The ADA accessible restrooms are located on the concourse of the east side of the stadium. The Moberly building also provides accessible restrooms.
• ADA accessible parking is available in the Moberly Lot past the Stadium off Roy and Sue Kidd Way on the right from the Bypass.
The main accessible gate (Moberly Gate) is between the Moberly building and the Fitness & Wellness Center.