LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Winburn Middle School placed sixth, and Paul Laurence Dunbar High School finished seventh in the 2017 Governor’s Cup state finals, which ended March 13.
The Governor’s Cup, founded in 1986 to promote classroom achievement, is Kentucky’s premier academic competition. A contest consists of five written assessment exams, composition (on-demand writing), future problem-solving, and quick recall (quiz bowl).
Results for FCPS schools are as follows:
FCPS high schools overall: Dunbar, seventh; Henry Clay, 16th (tied); Lafayette, 29th (tied)
- Math: Austin Li, Dunbar, third; Shashank Bhatt, Dunbar, sixth.
- Science: Zsombor Gal, Dunbar, second; Austin Booth, Lafayette, ninth.
- Social studies: Zsombor Gal, Dunbar, ninth.
Middle schools overall: Winburn, sixth; Tates Creek, 11th
- Math: Lohith Tummala, Winburn, first; Dylan Li, Winburn; second; Ayush Kumar, Winburn, ninth.
- Science: Aditya Sundarrajan, Winburn, seventh; Lohith Tummala, Winburn, ninth.
- Composition: Lauren Hurt, Tates Creek, first; Gabriella Staykova, Tates Creek, fifth.
The middle grades and high school divisions of Governor’s Cup include district, regional, and state competition. Elementary students participate only in district and regional contests.