LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – October 17th, 2016 marks 40 years since Lawrence Welk graced the stage in 1976 for Rupp Arena’s first concert.
In celebration of their 40th birthday, local businesses in Lexington are creating specialty items, created to honor the city’s arena, using the hashtag #RuppTurns40. Even better, a portion of the proceeds from sales will go to United Way of the Bluegrass, with Lexington Center matching the total donation amount.
“For forty years, Rupp Arena has been an integral part of the local community and region. United Way is proud to partner with Rupp Arena on this momentous celebration. Funds raised on October 17 will help support the Big Bold Goal, and over 140 programs supporting people across the Bluegrass. We greatly value our partnership with Rupp Arena and the Lexington Center and look forward to forty more years of working together to build a better Bluegrass.” said Bill Farmer, United Way of the Bluegrass CEO and President.
Businesses participating include West Sixth Brewing, North Lime Coffee & Donuts (Limestone location), Vinaigrette Salad Kitchen (both locations), Daily Offerings Coffee Roastery, Crank & Boom and Sawyer’s Downtown. Get your Rupp-themed goodies at the following locations:
- West Sixth Brewing: “Rupptoberfest” (Maple-aged Oktoberfest Beer with Vanilla Notes)
- First 50 people after 5pm receive a free special edition pint glass.
- North Lime Coffee & Donuts: “Rupp Sprinkle” (White-frosted Cake Donut with Blue & White Sprinkles)
- Vinaigrette Salad Kitchen: “Blueberry Maple Lemonade”
- Daily Offerings Coffee Roastery: “Maple Latte” and “Big Blue Smoothie”
- Crank & Boom: “Big Blue Sundae” (Blueberry Lime Cheesecake Ice Cream with Blueberry Sauce, Graham Crumbles and Whipped Cream, Topped with Blue & White Sprinkles)
- Sawyer’s Downtown: “Rupp Blue Burger” (Blue Cheese Burger)
For more information about #RuppTurns40, click here.