LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) — Thousands of new students are set to move in to campus housing as UK’s fall semester approaches. That coupled with heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic and re-routed streets will spell headaches for plenty of motorists in the area, as well as a need for extra patience and attention to on-the-road safety.
Incoming UK students and their families will arrive during the following four major Move-In days next week:
- Saturday, Aug. 13
- Wednesday, Aug. 17
- Friday, Aug. 19
- Saturday, Aug. 20
Move-In — combined with current construction occurring on campus — will impact parking and transportation routes throughout the campus at various times. Among the more than 5,600 students moving to campus housing, about 2,300 students are expected to arrive on Saturday, Aug. 13; 2,000 are expected on Wednesday, Aug. 17; 780 on Friday, Aug. 19; and 550 on Saturday, Aug. 20.
Those participating in Move-In are encouraged to use the WAZE app in conjunction with the Big Blue Move map. Area drivers are also encouraged to use the WAZE app for real-time road closures and other traffic information.
Below is information regarding student move-in traffic flow and parking impacts over the next week, including important information about one-way streets, no parking areas, and high traffic locations.
ONE-WAY STREETS: (see map)
- One-way southbound: Martin Luther King Boulevard between Good Samaritan parking lot and Avenue of Champions
- One-way southbound: Lexington Avenue between Maxwell Street and Avenue of Champions
- NOTE: Employee (E) lot entrance north of the Joe Craft Center CLOSED at Lexington Avenue; enter and exit only at Rose Street
- One-way westbound: Avenue of Champions between Rose Street and Limestone (no thru traffic)
- One-way westbound: Huguelet Drive between University Drive and Rose Street
- One-way eastbound: Hilltop Avenue between University Drive and Woodland Avenue
- One-way northbound: Woodland Avenue between Hilltop Avenue and Columbia Avenue
- One-way southbound: Sports Center Drive between Woodland Avenue and the Employee (E) lot north of the Nutter Football Training Facility.
NO PARKING AREAS:
Due to the need to quickly unload vehicles near residence halls, several areas of campus will be NO PARKING zones from 12:01 a.m. to 6 p.m. on each of the Move-In days. Additionally, several streets on and bordering campus will have closures or other changes to traffic flow to accommodate Move-In. Watch for NO PARKING signs and bagged meters in these areas.
Vehicles parked in the NO PARKING areas listed below will be TOWED. Owners will be responsible for all tow-related charges.
Saturday, Aug. 13; Wednesday, Aug. 17; Friday, Aug. 19; Saturday, Aug. 20:
- UNIVERSITY DRIVE (BOTH SIDES): from Cooper Drive to Hilltop Avenue
- SPORTS CENTER DRIVE: between Woodland Avenue and the Employee (E) lot north of the Nutter Football Training Facility
- AVENUE OF CHAMPIONS: metered parking in front of Roselle Hall
- LIMESTONE STREET: The nine parking spots on the east side between Avenue of Champions and the sidewalk north of Holmes Hall
- MARTIN LUTHER KING BOULEVARD: between Maxwell Street and Avenue of Champions
- LEXINGTON AVENUE: area between the Employee (E) lot entrance and Avenue of Champions
- E LOT BETWEEN KELLEY BUILDING and MED CENTER ANNEX #5: the five spots in the lane just north of Medical Center Annex #5
- WOODLAND AVENUE: between Hilltop Avenue and Sports Center Drive, no parking anytime
MOVE-IN PARKING AREAS: (see map)
Students and parents participating in Move-In will be permitted to park in the following designated parking areas:
- South Limestone Garage (PS #5): all four move-in dates listed above
- Sports Center Garage (PS #7): all four move-in dates listed above
- Blue Lot at Commonwealth Stadium: all four move-in dates listed above
- Red Lot at Commonwealth Stadium: all four move-in dates listed above
- Green Lot at Commonwealth Stadium: Saturday, Aug. 13, and Saturday, Aug. 20
- Orange Lot at Commonwealth Stadium: Saturday, Aug. 13, and Saturday, Aug. 20
- Memorial Coliseum Lot: Saturday, Aug. 13, and Saturday, Aug. 20