LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – A flyer from Fayette Co. Public Schools focuses on steps Kentuckians can take to avoid the Zika virus.
The flyer, released in both English and Spanish, divides the information between eliminating mosquitoes, and practicing self-protection.
The flyer offers these suggestions for eliminating mosquitoes:
- Eliminate standing water in buckets, birdbaths, toys, puddles, etc.
- Fix leaky faucets and outdoor hoses that are dripping water.
- Repair screens and windows to keep mosquitoes out.
- Dispose of old tires, trash, and building materials.
- Clean your gutters so water runs freely.
- Maintain hedges, shrubs, and tall grass to eliminate resting locations.
For self-protection, the flyer recommends the following:
- Apply insect repellent when you’re outdoors. Always follow manufacturer directions for using repellents (especially on pregnant women and small children).
- Avoid activities in areas with lots of mosquitoes when going outdoors.
- Wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, and socks to help protect from bites.