LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ)- Horse racing fans get all the amenities of Kentucky Derby weekend without the crowds and traffic by going to Keeneland.
The two-day party kicked off Friday morning ahead of the first post for Oaks Day at Churchill Downs. The Lexington track opens the Paddock for folks to sit back and watch races while wagering and enjoying everything Keeneland has to offer, other than horses.
The track says fans are welcome to picnic in the Paddock and Walking Ring and view the races on the large video board overlooking the area.
Come Derby Day, track organizers say tables in Keeneland’s dining rooms and Derby Bash at the Keene Barn & Entertainment Center are sold out. The Grandstand area is open to the public though, according to Keeneland.
The track says it’s also opening The Hill, the popular tailgating lot, on Derby Day for the first time. In addition to wagering at Keeneland, you can place bets at Red Mile and the Kentucky Horse Park.
The track offers these tips for planning your Derby Day outing at Keeneland:
- First post at Churchill Downs is 10:30 a.m. ET
- Approximate post time for the Kentucky Derby is 6:24 p.m.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Tents, canopies, grills and glass will no be allowed in the Paddock, Walking Ring or Terrace.
- Patrons are not permitted to bring alcohol.
- Coolers are allowed but subject to inspection.