FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – A statement has been released from Gov. Bevin’s Office, in response to comments made by former Gov. Steve Beshear in Frankfort on Wednesday morning.
The statement reads as follows:
“After a top level appointment of both him and his son pleaded guilty to federal bribery last week, former Governor Beshear is merely trying to protect what is left of his legacy. Every wild, baseless accusation he has attempted to levy is not corroborated by any facts whatsoever.
“Governor Bevin is focused on the job the people of Kentucky elected him to do, which is to restore fiscal responsibility and create economic opportunity. He will let the investigation take its course and has said all he intends to say about this matter.”
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) – Former Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear says his Republican successor is abusing his authority as governor.
Beshear has accused Republican Gov. Matt Bevin of threatening to cancel road projects in Democratic districts unless state representatives switched to the Republican party. He said Bevin has fired state employees simply for making political donations to Democrats. And he said Bevin threatened to refuse agency bond requests for colleges unless they agreed to his budget cuts.
Beshear did not offer specific examples.
Bevin was traveling in Europe on Wednesday. But Republican Party of Kentucky spokesman Tres Watson said the news conference shows the depths Beshear will sink to hide the truth about his own administration.
Last week, Bevin accused Beshear of breaking state ethics and procurement laws and announced he was hiring a private law firm to investigate.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.