COVINGTON, Ky. (KYTC) – The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet District 6 would like the public to be aware of the following conditions and/or operations that are being reported for highways in District Six. Motorists should be aware of possible delays or lane closures on the following projects:
** Remember – You can get Northern Kentucky road construction updates on on http://transportation.ky.gov/district-6/Pages/default.aspx. Follow KYTCDistrict6 on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/KYTC.District6 or on our Twitter page at https://twitter.com/KYTCDistrict6.
- KY 20 over Woolper Creek – Construction is in progress on a new bridge structure on KY 20 over Woolper Creek in Boone County. Motorists travelling on KY 20 within the vicinity of Woolper Creek should watch for construction activities and use caution while travelling through the work zone. The project is scheduled to be complete by June 1, 2017.
- Mall Road I-75 Southbound Ramp – Construction is in progress on a new I-75 southbound ramp from Mall Road. Motorists traveling from KY 18 to I-75 southbound and from Mall Road to I-75 NB should watch for shoulder closures and work zone operations.
- KY 18 (Shaun Alexander Way and Burlington Pike) – Traffic signal rebuild to begin March 30th at the intersection of Shaun Alexander Way and Burlington Pike near Boone County High School. Motorists and pedestrians should exercise caution and watch for traffic control devices, flaggers, construction personnel and equipment entering and leaving the work zone.
- I-275 EB to I-471 NB Ramp – A bridge inspection on the I-275 EB to I-471 NB ramp is scheduled for April 19 – 20th; starting at 9 PM until 5 AM. During this time the ramp will be closed; a signed detour will be in place. The inspection will continue during daylight hours on the ramp through Thursday, April 21st. Motorists should watch crews on and near the ramp as well as lane closures on I-275 WB under the ramp.
- I-275 EB (73.4 – 75.0 mile-marker) – A project to install cable median barrier along EB I-275 and guardrail along WB I-275 in Campbell County will begin Thursday, April 14th. The cable median will be installed along EB pavement from the interchange with I-471, east to the Combs Hehl Bridge. Guardrail will be installed in sections along the WB lanes in the same area. Shoulder closures and lane closures will be utilized to complete the work. Motorists should use caution and pay attention to all traffic control signs and devices.
- US 27 in Highland Heights – A pavement repair project will begin on April 18th. Work will take place from Ripple Creek Road extending north to the intersection with I-471. The first section will take place between Bunning Drive and Ripple Creek going southbound. Lane closures may be in place during non-peak time, however two-lanes will be open in each direction during peak rush hour periods between 6 AM – 9 AM and 2 PM and 6 PM. This section will be completed by Friday, April 22nd. The second section of work will be performed at the intersection with KY 2345 (Martha Lane Collins Blvd). Starting Friday night, April 22nd, traffic will be shifted through the intersection around the work area. All lanes will be re-opened by 6 AM Monday, April 25th. There will be four remaining areas to complete repairs. Watch for updates regarding the dates, times and locations.
- Johns Hill Road (KY 2345) Connector to Three Mile Road (KY 2238) – Construction is in progress on a new connector road between Johns Hill Road (KY 2345) and Three Mile Road (KY 2238). This new connector road will be adjacent to the NKU campus. Construction will take place in several phases, which will require various lane closures, lane shifts and detours. Motorists and pedestrians should pay attention to all construction and traffic signage, and be prepared for alternate traffic routes.
- Riverboat Row in Newport – Riverboat Row is closed between the Chart House Restaurant and Joes Crab Shack Restaurant for extensive repairs to the underlying Taylor Creek culvert. Thru traffic will not be permitted on Riverboat Row for vehicles, bicycles or pedestrians. The intersection of Riverboat Row and Dave Cowens Drive (KY 8) will remain open at Riviera Drive; however, traffic will not be able to proceed beyond the entrances to Joes Crab Shack Restaurant and the Comfort Suites Hotel. Access for the Chart House Restaurant will be provided though the Newport “Port of Entry”.
Please exercise caution and obey the traffic control devices surrounding the construction area. The project requires large equipment and large materials that will occupy the majority of the roadway. The timeline for total completion of the project and the re-opening of Riverboat Row is undetermined at this point.
- KY 9 Expansion – Newport – South Section – Construction is in progress along Lowell Street between 9thStreet and KY 9 (12th Street). Drivers should exercise caution and watch for traffic control devices, flaggers, construction personnel and equipment entering and leaving the work zone.
- KY 9 Expansion – Newport – North Section – Construction is in progress on a new alignment between 5th Street and the Taylor Southgate Bridge. The new section of roadway will consist of 2 roundabouts and a new road connecting them. This project is the northern-most phase in a multi-phase plan to reroute the KY 9 corridor from Wilder all the way to the riverfront. 3rd Street in Newport is closed between York Street (US 27) and Columbia Street. Traffic should follow the signed detour South on York Street (US 27) and then turn West onto 4th Street (KY 8) to Columbia Street. Access to Riverboat Row and B.B. Riverboats via Columbia Street flood wall gate will remain open to traffic.
- US 42 (Highland Ave) – Traffic signal rebuild is scheduled to begin Monday, April 18, 2016 at the intersection of US 42 (Highland Ave) and KY 320 (11th Street) near Carroll County Hospital. Motorists and pedestrians should exercise caution and watch for traffic control devices, flaggers, construction personnel and equipment entering and leaving the work zone.
- Little Sugar Creek Road (CR 1001) – A bridge replacement project 1.100 mile south of US 42. Little Sugar Creek Road will be closed to thru traffic beginning April 4, 2016. Estimated completion is July 31, 2016.
- KY 36 (Williamstown-Cynthiana Road) 12.3 to 12.7 mile-marker – KY 36 Bridge Replacement over Mill Creek has begun. Work will take place during daylight hours 7 am until 6 pm, Monday thru Sunday. Drivers should exercise caution and watch for traffic devices, flaggers, construction personnel and equipment entering and leaving the work zone, work is weather dependent and completion date is the summer 2016.
- KY 1120 (12th Street/MLK Blvd.)
- The state sign contractor is replacing the overhead sign at the intersection of KY 1120 (12Th Street) and Jillian Way tonight between 10 PM on 4/14/16 and 3 AM on 4/15/16.
- Motorist should watch for shoulder closures at NB I-71/75 between Exit 191 and Exit 192.
- Also motorists should watch for work zone operation at the intersection of KY 1120 and Jillian Way.
The KYTC offers the following tips for motorists when they approach a work zone:
- Expect the unexpected.
- Slow down.
- Don’t tailgate. Keep a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the construction workers and equipment.
- Pay attention to the signs.
- Obey road crew flaggers.
- Stay alert and minimize distractions.
- Keep up with the traffic flow
- Navigate traffic with KYTC, you can call 511 or go to www.511.ky.gov, and Waze, www.waze.com!