UPDATE:Fire destroys Olympia Dr. duplex

0
144
olympia fire

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – Two families were displaced on Friday morning, when a fire in their duplex caused “significant damage.”

- Advertisement -

The Lexington Fire Department says the fire started just after 3 a.m. on Olympia Road, after someone became distracted while cooking. The fire had started in the kitchen, firefighters say, and spread up into the attic. The Fire dept. said it was “a pretty good fire” when they arrived, with heavy smoke pouring from the building.

Although 11 people were at home at the time, authorities say all of them managed to leave the residence without injuries.  

Officials say both sides of the home were damaged, making the building unlivable.  ABC has been informed that the Red Cross became involved, to help these families find a place to stay.  

Lexington Fire Department would like to remind the public that cooking fires are the number 1 cause of residential fires, and that everyone should have working smoke detectors in their home. Also important, they added, is keeping distractions – be it children underfoot or phone conversations, – away from the kitchen while it is in use.