LFD: Family forced out of home after fire

0
29
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – An apartment complex manager is pleading for help on social media after a family, in her building, was forced out of their apartment by a fire on Monday.

The Lexington Fire Department says a mom and her three kids lived in the apartment where the fire broke out Monday morning.

Fire crews say the fire first started in the bedroom of the apartment at Jennifer Place Apartments on Jennifer Road Monday around 11:45 a.m.

- Advertisement -

When firefighters first arrived on the scene, they saw flames and smoke coming from the first floor apartment and quickly worked to evacuate the rest of the apartment building.

"We just woke up, they said there was an apartment across the hall that was one fire and they told us that we had to get out and we just got out,” an apartment complex resident told ABC 36 News.

Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the unit where the fire started and quickly extinguish the flames, but the unit was still destroyed, the fire department says.

According to the fire department, only the family cat was home when the fire broke out, but it didn’t survive.

"We did have a cat that was in the fire apartment, [and] we tried to give it some oxygen,” Battalion Chief Todd Samuelson said. “But we were unsuccessful in getting [the cat] revived.”

The fire department says they called out the American Red Cross to help them find a temporary shelter until repairs can be made.

If you’d like to donate items to the family, the eldest boy is 15-years-old and wears a men’s large. The two girls, aged 11 and 7, wear sizes 14 and 12.

Donations can be brought to the apartment complex’s office at 1748 Jennifer Road.