Dept. for Public Health reminding Kentuckians of CO dangers

0
26
Carbon Monoxide
FRANKFORT, Ky. (WTVQ) – The Department for Public Health (DPH) is reminding all Kentuckians of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In cold weather, people will sometimes use a kerosene or propane gas stove or oven to provide heat.  These items give off carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas.  In too great a concentration, carbon monoxide can lead to severe, life-threatening cases of poisoning.

DPH suggests taking the following steps to protect yourself and your family:

- Advertisement -
  • Install a battery operated carbon monoxide detector in your home.  If you already have one, replace the battery once a year.
  • Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage, or outside near a window.
  • Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don’t use a fireplace that isn’t properly vented.
  • Don’t heat your home with a gas oven.
  • Be sure to follow manufacturer’s instructions for kerosene heaters.
  • Seek immediate medical attnetion if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are experiencing symptoms, including headache, nausea, vomiting, and fatigue.

If you are experiencing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 or contact the Poison Control hotline at 1-800-222-1222.