A Lexington family was wide awake early Wednesday morning after lightning struck their house during a storm.
Doris Lambert said the home she, her husband and disabled mother-in-law live in was hit by lightning around 1 a.m.
She was working third shift at a pharmacy when her mother-in-law called her and said she heard a loud boom.
Lambert went home but couldn’t get in her garage because all of the electricity was out. She said once she was inside, she saw many smoke holes and broken glass.
“It must have been a real real big force,” Lambert said.
Firefighters told Lambert that they think the strike entered through the chimney. Most of the damage was below the chimney – including a frayed wire.
Lambert said the fire department took down a wall to check on the electrical wiring and make sure it wasn’t at risk of starting a fire again.
“They said they had seen houses similar to this, but the house wasn’t standing anymore either,” she said.
Almost all of the outlets in the house were blown out and the electricity stopped working. The lightning burnt parts of their tv cabinet, china cabinet and shattered many glass objects.
She said her mother-in-law wasn’t hurt.
Pat Dugger, the Lexington Emergency Management Director, said surge protectors or lightning rods are a good line of defense against lightning hitting a home.
“If you’re monitoring the power of a storm and have an idea of when it’s coming,” Dugger said. “You know you can unplug a lot of things that you don’t need to be using at the time the storm goes through.”
NOAA said people should stay away from anything connected to the electrical system and plumbing because that’s the path lightning will travel through the home.
Dugger said they are anticipating another storm on Thursday.
They will be sending out alerts to the public as needed. To follow them on social media, visit the Lexington Fayette Emergency Management Page.