Lincoln, NE (SportsNetwork.com) - Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst said Bo Pelini will remain the football coach of the Cornhuskers.
A 38-17 home loss to Iowa on Friday fueled speculation about Pelini's job security in the wake of an 8-4 season, and the coach was unhappy about the questions from the media after the setback.
Pelini, in his sixth year with the Huskers, defended his record and his performance on Friday. He said he wouldn't apologize for anything, but added "if they want to fire me, go ahead."
Eichorst, in his first year as Nebraska's athletic director, decided to quell any potential rumors with a statement Saturday.
"My approach has always been to not comment publicly about our coaches until their full seasons are complete, as I strongly believe it is unfair and counter to best practices," Eichorst stated. "However, given the volume of unfounded speculation and conjecture about our head football coach, I want to reaffirm what I have said many times since I have arrived at the University of Nebraska -- that I positively respect, appreciate and support our football student-athletes, coaches and staff, as we do everyone in the Husker family. We very much look forward to our upcoming bowl game and Coach Pelini continuing to lead our program in the future."
Pelini has guided Nebraska to a record of 56-24 in his six seasons and is under contract through 2017. The Huskers won at least nine games in each of Pelini's first five seasons, but have not won a conference title since 1999 in the Big 12 and last year lost to Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game.