Battery-Related ER Visits High In Young Children

Reported by: Lauren Gawthrop
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 5/16/2012 7:52 am
Coin-sized button batteries can be found in many household items from remote controls to watches and electronics, but a new report finds the number of emergency room visits for button battery ingestions has doubled over the past 20 years- and kids 5 and under are seen the most.

Researchers say there were 66,000 battery-related emergency room visits by
children under age 18 in the United States between 1990 and 2009.

Button batteries accounted for 84 percent of all battery-related ingestions, especially among children aged 5 years and younger.

If swallowed, batteries are not only a choking hazard for children, but can severely burn a child's throat or kill a child in as little as two hours.

Researchers recommend increasing prevention efforts, especially for younger children. Experts say parents need to be vigilant.

"Button batteries aren't just in toys. They're in hearing aids, they're in your car key opener, and other little gadgets around the house that you may entertain your kids with while you're answering the phones," said Cleveland Clinic Pediatrician Dr. Ellen Rome. "Don't let them play with anything other than kid-approved items because anything that goes in a toddler's or a baby's hands can go into the toddler's or baby's mouth."

Dr. Rome says button batteries can actually burn holes in the esophagus or intestines, thus being life-threatening. 

Complete findings for the battery study are in the journal "Pediatrics."
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Most Popular
2014 36 Blitz: Corbin Redhounds
Perennial power under new leadership with unlikely connection to the program. Video Video
Police: Vehicle Runs Over Man During Delivery at Paul Miller Ford
According to Lexington Police, a man was working a delivery in the back of Paul Miller Ford when a vehicle rolled over his legs.
Kentucky town stuck with school after court order
A southwestern Kentucky community is stuck with an unused school at the moment after a judge issued an order stopping its sale for the moment.
Police: Couple Admits to Feeding 4-Year-Old Hot Sauce & Vinegar as Punishment
A mother and her boyfriend have confessed to forcing their four-year-old to eat hot sauce and vinegar as punishment, according to an arrest warrant.
Blue Grass Stakes Winner Euthanized After Training Accident
The horse that won the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland in April was euthanized after a training accident. Dance With Fate was galloping at Del Mar in California early Thursday morning when he bolted to the outside fence near the far turn, crashed into the fence and fell.
Flu RSS Aggregator Widget. Flash Player 9 is required.
Flu RSS Aggregator Widget.
Flash Player 9 is required.

Five Minutes Or Less For Health Widget. Flash Player 9 is required.
Five Minutes Or Less For Health Widget.
Flash Player 9 is required.

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.