Healthy Sips: Cheers to the Arrival of Spring and Summer!
There's something richly satisfying about an ice-cold shake on a spring or summer day—until you think about what it's doing to your weight loss efforts. But that doesn't mean you can't cool down with a cool beverage when the weather heats up.
Whether you’re opting for a healthy smoothie, a festive cocktail or a fruity drink for the entire family, there are easy ways to create your own signature drinks that are delicious and won't ruin your weight-loss plan. Below are a few ideas to help lighten up your favorite beverages:
- For smoothies, combine yogurt with fat-free or low-fat milk.
- Try adding soft tofu or non-fat Greek yogurt to your fruity blended shakes for a protein boost that will keep you satisfied longer.
- Spruce up your favorite caffeine-free diet soda with a scoop of fat-free ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- Add ice to fruit-based smoothies (before blending them) and to give them more volume.
- If doing an adult beverage…try a festive Sangria or mix a citrus flavored soft drink with white wine with lots of ice to maximize a cocktail and make it fruity.
At Weight Watchers, we don’t want people to feel deprived. In order to lose weight and keep it off, learning to enjoy the things we love is critical in keeping off our weight long term. Here are a few beverage recipes:
Frozen Watermelon Virgin Margaritas PointsPlus Value 3
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 0 min
What better way to beat the heat than with a margarita? Try substituting other melon combos to create exotic flavors.
Mango Shake3PointsPlus Value 5
Prep time: 8 min
Cook time: 0 min
Cool off with this fruity shake on a hot spring or summer day. You can substitute any type of ripe fruit for the mango.
Dissolve four packets of sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda) into 4 tablespoons of water. Pour into pitcher. Add slices of oranges, lemons, limes, peaches, plums or nectarines as well as grapes (for white wine sangria, red grapes; for red wine sangria, white). Add a bottle of red or white wine. Stir, then let sit. Before serving, top pitcher with a drizzle of club soda.
Mojito…Less than half the calories of a traditional margarita!! PPV 5
Pour 3/4 of an ounce (about half a shot) fresh lime juice into a glass. Add one packet of sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda) and four or five mint leaves. Stir until the sweetener dissolves. Add a shot of light rum and several ice cubes. Top with 2 ounces club soda and a sprig of mint.
For more great ideas and recipes go to weightwatchers.com or stop in and visit a meeting for free.