Beef Top Loin Steaks with Grilled Balsamic Vegetables
Total recipe time: 35 to 40 minutes
Makes 4 servings
2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar2 teaspoons garlic-pepper seasoning
1 medium red onion, cut into 12 wedges
1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano or thyme
1. Bring vinegar to a boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer about 3 minutes or until reduced by half. Set aside.
2. Press 1 teaspoon garlic-pepper seasoning evenly onto beef steaks.
3. Soak two 10-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Thread onion wedges onto skewers. Brush onions and cut sides of squash with oil; sprinkle with remaining teaspoon garlic-pepper seasoning.
4. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange vegetables around steaks. Grill steaks, covered, 11 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 11 to 15 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium doneness (160°F), turning occasionally. Grill squash 8 to 12 minutes (7 to 11 minutes for gas) and onions 12 to 15 minutes (13 to 16 minutes for gas) or until tender, turning occasionally.
5. Remove onions from skewers; toss reduced vinegar, oregano and salt, as desired. Carve steaks into slices. Serve with onion mixture and squash; season steak and squash with salt, as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutrition information per serving: 255 calories; 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 54 mg cholesterol; 272 mg sodium; 9 g carbohydrate; 1.6 g fiber; 26 g protein; 7.6 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 2.1 mg iron; 29.0 mcg selenium; 4.9 mg zinc; 104.4 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.