HOLIDAY APPLE SALAD
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 large firm red apples, such as Galaor Cameo
• 2 large green apples, such as Granny Smith or Crispin
• ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins
• ½ cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1. In a large salad bowl, mix together lemon juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
2. Wash apples and dice into ½ inch cubes.
3. Stir apples in sweetened lemon juice to coat.
4. Drain excess lemon juice mixture from apples.
5. Add cranberries or raisins and mayonnaise.
6. Mix together and refrigerate until serving time.
OPTION: Boost the protein and flavor of the recipe by adding walnuts, hickory nuts, or pecans. Save some of the dried cranberries to sprinkle on top for garnish.
MAKES 16 SERVINGS
Serving Size: ½ cup
Cost Per Recipe: $3.51
Cost Per Serving: 22 cents
SOURCE: Jackie Walters, Extension Specialist, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: 60 calories; 1 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 65 mg sodium; 12 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber;
0 g protein; 0% Daily Value of vitamin A; 6% Daily Value of vitamin C; 0% Daily Value of calcium; 0% Daily Value of iron