UK Hoops Postgame Notes
Nov. 25, 2012
Final Score: No. 9/8 Kentucky 100 – USC Upstate 34
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 4-1, while USC Upstate falls to 2-5.
- Kentucky is in its 39th year of varsity play and owns an overall record of 660-472 (.583).
- UK is 98-37 (.726) all-time in the month of November
- Head coach Matthew Mitchell is in his sixth year and ranks third on the all-time wins list (118-57) and third in winning percentage (.674)
- UK is now 54-19 (.740) in regular season, nonconference games under head coach Matthew Mitchell.
- The Wildcats own a 361-140 (72.0) mark in Memorial Coliseum, including a 71-12 (85.5) mark under Mitchell.
- The Cats are 52-2 at home over the last three seasons.
- UK has now won 24 straight home contests – the third-longest winning streak in program history.
- Kentucky has won 35 straight nonconference home games, dating back to Dec. 19, 2008.
- UK is now 2-0 all-time against USC Upstate.
- The Wildcats defeated the Spartans74-59 in 2007 at Memorial Coliseum.
- UK is now 17-5 all-time against opponents from the Atlantic Sun Conference.
First Half Notes
- UK’s starting lineup featured A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Jen O’Neill, Samarie Walker and DeNesha Stallworth for the second straight game. This lineup is now 2-0.
- Walker scored the first basket of the game at the 18:45 mark.
- Walker has netted the first points of the game for UK for the third time this season.
- With UK leading 5-3, the Cats went on a 14-1 spurt to extend their advantage to 22-4.
- Kentucky ended the half on a 26-3 run.
- Mathies’ 3-pointer at the 8:25 mark gave her 115 in her career and tied her with Tiffany Wait (1995-2000) for fifth all-time on UK’s career charts.
- The 52 points scored in the half are the most since UK scored 55 against Samford last season (12/21/11).
- UK held USC Upstate to 15 points in the first half marking the third consecutive game the Wildcats have limited their opponent to less than 20 points in the opening half.
- The 37-point halftime lead is the largest for UK this season.
- UK held the Spartans to 4-of-18 (22.2) shooting in the first half, marking the lowest field goals made and percentage by an opponent this season.
- Kentucky forced more turnovers (21) than Upstate had points (15).
- Kentucky won the turnover battle 21-6 in the first half for the fifth straight game.
- The 21 turnovers forced are the most in a half by the Cats this season.
Second Half Notes
- Mathies’ fast break lay-up at the 18:15 mark gave her 1,503 points in her career, passing Sarah Elliott (2002-05) for No. 7 all-time on the career scoring list.
- UK shot 19-of-37 (51.4) from the floor in the second half.
- Kentucky forced 17 turnovers in the half.
· The 100 points scored are a season high and the most since UK scored 101 against Arkansas-Pine Bluff last season (12/11/11).
o UK is now 37-0 all-time when scoring 100 or more points, including a 5-0 mark under Mitchell.
· The 66-point margin of victory is the most since UK defeated Jacksonville State 100-25 (11/15/11).
· UK hit a season-high 12 3-pointers, just two off the school record of 14 made against Mississippi State (1//8/12).
o The Wildcats extended their streak of consecutive games with a triple to 297.
· UK shot 50 percent for the second time this season and is now 17-0 when shooting 50 percent or better under Mitchell.
· Kentucky made a season-high 37 field goals.
· The 21 steals are a season high and the most since UK recorded 21 steals last season against Arkansas-Pine Bluff (12/11/11).
· UK forced a season-high 38 turnovers.
· UK had four players reach double-figures for the third consecutive contest.
· UK allowed only 34 points, the lowest this season.
· The Cats’ defense held its opposition to a season-low 26.2 percent shooting from the floor.
· UK forced a season-high 38 turnovers and is now 59-6 since 1979-80 when forcing 30 or more turnovers and19-1 in the Mitchell era.
- Kentucky has forced double-digit miscues in 122 consecutive games.
- The Cats are 89-33 during that span.
- UK has forced 20-plus turnovers in 34 of their last 40 games dating back to the start of last season.
- Senior guard A’dia Mathies tied a season-high with 17 points.
- She now has 1,508 career points and moves up to No.7 all-time on UK’s career scoring charts, passing Sarah Elliott (2005-08).
- Recorded two steals and needs just three more to climb into a tie with Rita Adams (267, 1999-2003) at No. 5 on the career charts.
- With three triples today, she has117 in her career and moves into No. 5 all-time on the 3-pointer made list, passing Tiffany Wait (1995-2000).
- Redshirt sophomore Jen O’Neill made her second consecutive start and posted a career-high five assists to go along with a season-best eight points.
- Junior Samarie Walker recorded a personal-best four steals and tied a career-high three blocks, while entering double figures for the second straight game with 13 points.
- Junior DeNesha Stallworth reached double figures for the third time this season, scoring 11 points.
- She’s now just 29 points shy of reaching 1,000 points in her career.
- Freshman Janee Thompson posted career highs of 10 points, three rebounds and two steals.
- Sophomore transfer Jelleah Sidney recorded personal highs of six points, three rebounds and three assists.