UK Hoops Postgame Notes
Dec. 30, 2012
Final Score: No. 7/6 Kentucky 78 – Marist 56
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 12-1, while Marist falls to 5-6.
- UK returns to action Thursday, Jan. 3, when it begins Southeastern Conference play against Florida in Memorial Coliseum at 7 p.m. EST. The game will be televised on FSN South.
- Kentucky is in its 39th year of varsity play and owns an overall record of 668-472 (.586).
- Head coach Matthew Mitchell is in his sixth year and ranks third on the all-time wins list (126-57) and first in winning percentage (.689).
- UK is now 62-19 (.765) in regular season, non-conference games under head coach Matthew Mitchell.
- The Wildcats own a 365-140 (.723) mark in Memorial Coliseum, including a 75-12 (.862) mark under Mitchell.
- The Cats are now 57-2 at home over the last three seasons.
- UK has now won 29 straight home contests – the second-longest winning streak in program history. The school record is 30 straight set from Feb. 12, 1980 until Jan. 31, 82.
- Kentucky has won 39 straight nonconference home games, dating back to Dec. 19, 2008.
- UK extended its winning streak to 11 games, which ties the longest winning streak in a single season in school history. UK also won 11 in a row in 2009 and 1983.
- UK went a perfect 7-0 in December for the first time since the 1997-98 season.
- Eleven of UK’s 12 wins have been by 18 or more points.
- UK is now 2-0 all-time against Marist.
- The other meeting took place on Dec. 26, 1993 when the Cats defeated the Red Foxes 96-65.
- Kentucky is now 3-0 all-time against teams from the MAAC.
- UK’s starting lineup featured A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Jennifer O’Neill, Samarie Walker and DeNesha Stallworth for the fourth straight game. The Cats are now 9-0 with that lineup.
- Stallworth scored the first basket of the game on a layup at the 19:50 mark.
- Kastine Evens was the first sub of the game for UK.
- Kentucky is now 73-6 when scoring 70 or more points under Mitchell.
- From the 9:02 mark to 3:54, UK went on a 17-4 run to extend its lead to 35-23.
- With the score 58-50 with 8:52 remaining, UK went on a 14-4 run to extend its advantage to 73-54 with 2:41 to play in the game.
- UK shot a season high from the free-throw line, converting on 18-21 for .857 percent.
- The Wildcats have scored 30 or more points off turnovers in eight of their 13 games this season.
- O’Neill and Stallworth recorded 21 points in the game, marking the first time UK has had two players score 20-plus points in a game since Keyla Snowden (22) and A’dia Mathies (21) reached the 20-point mark against Mississippi State (1/8/12).
· The Wildcats extended their streak of consecutive games with a triple to 305.
- UK won the turnover battle 27-13 and is 105-27 under Mitchell when committing fewer turnovers than its opponent.
- Kentucky has forced double-digit miscues in 130 consecutive games.
- The Cats are now 97-33 during that span.
- UK has forced 20-plus turnovers in all 13 games this season and in 42 of its last 48 games, dating back to the start of last season.
- Senior A’dia Mathies scored 10 points and passed Samantha Mahoney (2005-08) to move up to No. 4 on UK’s all-time scoring list with 1,608 points. She is the all-time scorer in UK Hoops history for a guard.
- Today marked her 116th career start, which ties her for fifth all-time with Lea Wise (1979-83). Mathies is now one shy from equaling Tiffany Wait (117, 1995-2000) for No. 4 on the list.
- With two steals, Mathies moves to No. 4 on UK’s all-time steals list and is just four shy from tying Leslie Nichols (278, 1982-86) for third.
- Mathies has reached double figures in 11 of 13 games this season.
- Junior DeNesha Stallworth recorded a UK career high with 21 points, while also charting a personal-best two steals.
- Stallworth has reached double figures in 11 of 13 games, including 10 in a row.
- Redshirt sophomore Jennifer O’Neill set new career highs with 21 points and four steals.
- O’Neill made a career-best seven field goals 11 attempts from the field, including a career high four 3-pointers.