UK Hoops Postgame Notes
KFC Yum! Center
Dec. 2, 2012
Final Score: No. 9/8 Kentucky 48 – No. 7/6 Louisville 47
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 6-1, while Louisville falls to 8-1.
- UK returns to action on Friday, Dec. 7 vs. DePaul for “Pack the House” night in Rupp Arena with tipoff scheduled for 7 p.m. ET.
- This was the 49th meeting in the series between UK and UofL, which is the second-longest for the Cats (Tennessee, 57 meetings).
- UK is now 31-18 all-time against Louisville.
- The Wildcats hold a 10-13 record against the Cardinals in Louisville.
- UK is now 70-33 all-time against opponents from the BIG EAST Conference.
- This was the first meeting between the schools with both teams ranked in the top 10.
- This is the first time the game was decided by single digits since 2006 when UofL won by eight (83-75).
- The win snaps a six-game losing streak on the road vs. the Cards. This is UK’s first win in the KFC Yum! Center and first in Louisville since Jan. 20, 1999 (69-56) in Freedom Hall.
- UK is now 58-196 all-time against ranked foes.
- UK is now 2-5 all-time vs. the AP’s seventh-ranked team. The other win came in 1980 over No. 7 Rutgers, 97-78.
- This marks UK’s first win over a top-10 foe on the road since defeating No. 8 Western Kentucky in Bowling Green, Ky. In 1991.
- Matthew Mitchell is 17-29 vs. ranked teams, including a 6-15 mark vs. teams in the top 10.
- This is the first back-to-back wins over Louisville since the 1998-99/1999-2000 seasons.
- Kentucky is in its 39th year of varsity play and owns an overall record of 662-472 (.584).
- Head coach Matthew Mitchell is in his sixth year and ranks third on the all-time wins list (120-57) and his winning percentage (.678) now ranks first.
- The win gives Mitchell his 150th career victory over an eight-year coaching tenure.
- UK is now 56-19 (.747) in regular season, nonconference games under head coach Matthew Mitchell.
- UK’s starting lineup featured A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Jennifer O’Neill, Samarie Walker and DeNesha Stallworth. The Cats are now 3-0 with that lineup.
- O’Neill scored the first four points of the game.
- Azia Bishop was the first sub of the game for UK.
· UK posted its lowest first-half output of the season, trailing 23-18 at the break.
o Kentucky was 7-of-25 (28.0%) from the field in the first half, marking its second-lowest field goal percentage of the season in the first half (Baylor, 20.6%)
· UK trailed by 14 in the second half with 15:08 remaining in the game.
· Trailing 41-30 with 10:07 to play, UK outscored Louisville 18-6 down the stretch.
- UK won the turnover battle 25-23 and is now 99-27 under Mitchell when committing fewer turnovers than the opponent.
· The Wildcats extended their streak of consecutive games with a triple to 299.
· The Cats had 12 steals and have had 10-plus steals in every game this year.
- Kentucky has forced double-digit miscues in 124 consecutive games.
- The Cats are 91-33 during that span.
- UK has forced 20-plus turnovers in all seven games this season and in 36 of their last 42 games, dating back to the start of last season.
- The 48 points scored by the Cats marks the first time they scored under 50 points since Feb. 13, 2011 against LSU.
- Louisville guard Shoni Schimmel was held scoreless in the second half after scoring 13 in the first half.
- UK held Louisville to a season-low tying 47 points. They also scored 47 vs. Texas A&M.
- Freshman Janee Thompson scored a career-high 13 points (all in the second half), including the go ahead game-winning 3-pointer with 8.7 seconds remaining.
- First UK player to hit a last-second shot to win a game since A’dia Mathies beat Tennessee on a layup with 4.2 seconds remaining (1/12/12).
- Junior DeNesha Stallworth scored a UK career-high 14 points.
- She’s now just three points shy of reaching 1,000 points in her career.
· Senior A’dia Mathies has started in 110 games, which ties Stacey Reed at No. 6 (1991-95) all-time.