UK Hoops Postgame Notes
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center
South Bend, Ind.
Dec. 18, 2011
Final Score: No. 8/7 Kentucky – 83, No. 3/3 Notre Dame – 92
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky falls to 10-1, while Notre Dame improves to 10-1.
- Kentucky is now 1-1 against Notre Dame all-time.
- UK head coach Matthew Mitchell is now 1-1 against the Fighting Irish.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is now 126-79 overall and 96-50 at UK.
- Kentucky is now 638-465 in 38 years of varsity play.
- UK is now 2-1 vs. teams ranked in the top 10 this season.
- Kentucky plays again Wednesday, Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. ET against Samford at Memorial Coliseum.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Amber Smith, A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans and Samantha Drake for the sixth time this season. This lineup is now 5-1.
- UK has started a freshman in 114-of-146 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 81 straight.
- Trailing 26-17, its largest deficit of the season, Kentucky went on an 11-1 run, including nine straight points, to take a 28-27 lead at the 4:54 mark.
- Kentucky forced Notre Dame into 15-first half turnovers. The Fighting Irish’s season average for turnovers in a game was 16.2.
- Of the Fighting Irish’s 15 turnovers, 10 came from Kentucky steals.
- Kentucky trailed 40-46 heading into the locker room.
- Notre Dame’s 46 points in the first half is a season-high for a UK opponent.
Second Half Notes
- Down 56-46, its largest deficit of the season, Kentucky rallied with an 8-0 run to pull within two points at 56-54 at the 12:50 mark.
- From the 15:14 mark to the 8:03 mark, a span of 7:11 where UK went on an 18-12 run, the Wildcats held Notre Dame to just two made field goals.
- Junior guard A’dia Mathies fouled out with 7:25 on the clock and UK trailing 70-67.
- Tied at 75, Notre Dame went on a 10-0 run, the largest by a UK opponent this season, to take an 85-75 lead.
- Notre Dame led by at least eight points for the remainder of the game.
- Kentucky forced 22 turnovers in the game.
- UK has forced double-digit miscues in 93 consecutive games. The Cats are 67-26 during that span.
- Kentucky has forced 371 turnovers this season (33.7 per game).
- Kentucky has forced at least 10 turnovers in 20 of 22 halves this season.
- It was just the fourth time all season that Notre Dame committed 20-plus turnovers.
- Kentucky is 32-2 under Matthew Mitchell when scoring 80 or more points.
- Today’s game was just the second time in the Matthew Mitchell era that Kentucky lost when scoring 80 or more points.
- It is Kentucky’s first loss in the last three seasons when scoring 80 or more points.
- Kentucky is 39-28 in games decided by 10 points or less during the Matthew Mitchell era.
- UK is 1-1 this season in games decided by 10 points or less.
- UK finished with 13 steals and has swiped double-digit steals in 10 of 11 games this season.
- Kentucky outscored Notre Dame 27-21 in points off turnovers.
- Kentucky was 17-23 from the foul line against the Fighting Irish.
- With four made 3-pointers, UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 268.
- Attendance was 9,149 as the game was a sellout.
- Sophomore center Samantha Drake scored a team- and career-high 21 points on 8-11 shooting and grabbed four rebounds.
- Drake has reached double figures in scoring in five of the last six games.
- Junior guard A’dia Mathies scored 17 points, to go with three rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Mathies’ two steals move her into ninth place all-time at UK with 203 career steals.
- Mathies fouled out of the game with 7:25 remaining.
- Freshman guard Bria Goss scored 14 points, grabbed five rebounds and had two steals.
- Goss is averaging 17.3 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.3 steals over the past three games.
- Sophomore forward Samarie Walker played in her first game as a Wildcat after sitting out the first semester, per NCAA transfer regulations.
- Walker scored seven points on 3-5 shooting, grabbed seven rebounds, blocked one shot and recorded one steal.
- Senior guard Amber Smith scored 13 points on 5-8 shooting, and had four rebounds and four assists.
- It marked the most points for Smith since scoring 17 points vs. Southern Miss. On Nov. 19.
· Sophomore guard Bernisha Pinkett came off the bench for five points, two assists, four rebounds and a team-high three steals.