UK Hoops Postgame Notes
Jan. 22, 2012
Final Score: No. 6/6 Kentucky – 57, Florida – 52
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky improves to 18-2, 7-0 SEC, while Florida falls to 13-7, 3-4 SEC.
· It is the first time in program history that UK has started conference play 7-0.
· Kentucky’s 18-2 start ties its best start in program history through the first 20 games. Kentucky’s best start to a season was in 1982-83 (21-2).
- Kentucky is 23-22 against Florida all-time, and 12-9 when the game is played in Lexington.
- UK head coach Matthew Mitchell is 5-2 against the Gators.
- Sunday’s win gives Kentucky the regular season sweep over the Gators, and is its fourth straight win over Florida.
- The win is also UK’s fourth straight victory over the Gators in Lexington.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is 134-80 overall and 104-51 at UK.
- Kentucky is 646-466 in 38 years of varsity play.
- The Wildcats are 139-213 all-time in SEC play, and 42-25 under the direction of Mitchell.
- UK is 25-9 in SEC home games under Mitchell, including 18-2 over the last three seasons.
- UK is 44-2 in Lexington over the past three seasons.
- UK is 353-140 (.716) at Memorial Coliseum, including 63-12 (.840) under Mitchell.
- Kentucky’s current 16-game home winning streak is the fourth longest in program history.
- The Wildcats have won six straight SEC home games dating back to last season, the most since winning eight consecutive SEC home games during the 2009-10 season.
- Kentucky plays again Thursday at 7 p.m. ET vs. Auburn in Auburn, Ala.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Amber Smith, A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans and Brittany Henderson. UK is 8-0 with this lineup.
- UK has started a freshman in 123-of-155 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 90 straight.
- After taking a 4-0 lead off two jumpers from Bria Goss, Florida went on a 10-0 run, the largest run by an SEC opponent all season, and only the second time all season an opponent has scored 10 straight points against the Cats (Notre Dame, 12/18/11).
- Kentucky forced 14 first-half turnovers.
- Kentucky and Florida were tied 21-21 heading into the locker room.
- The Wildcats are 14-0 this season when leading or tied at the half.
- Kentucky’s 21 points were its fewest in the first half this season.
Second Half Notes
- The Wildcats opened the second half on a 17-2 run to take a 38-23 lead. Kastine Evans had eight points during the run, including two 3-pointers.
- Kentucky went on a 25-4 run spanning from the 5:42 mark in the first half when the Cats trailed 13-19, to the 13:18 mark when UK led 38-23.
- Kentucky led by at least seven points from the 17:59 mark until the 2:58 mark when Florida cut the Kentucky lead to six, and eventually two, off a 12-3 run.
- Bria Goss hit a pair of free throws with 22.8 seconds left to give UK a four point lead (52-48).
- Following a Florida jump shot, Keyla Snowden went 2-2 from the free-throw line with 13 seconds left to push the Kentucky lead back to four.
- After a Florida layup, Snowden went 1-2 from the free-throw line with 6.0 seconds left to give Kentucky a 55-52 lead.
- Snowden was fouled with 4.5 seconds left following a steal by A’dia Mathies, and hit both free throws to give Kentucky the 57-52 win.
- Kentucky is 44-28 (.611) in games decided by 10 points or less in five seasons under Coach Mitchell.
- Kentucky is 6-1 this season in such games, with a seven-point win over No. 6/5 Duke, a three-point win at Florida, a one-point win over No. 6/7 Tennessee, an eight-point win over No. 24/RV South Carolina, a five-point win over No. 15/14 Georgia, a five-point win over South Carolina and a nine-point loss to No. 3/3 Notre Dame.
- Kentucky forced 23 turnovers in the game.
- UK has forced double-digit miscues in 102 consecutive games. The Cats are 75-27 during that span.
- Kentucky has forced an SEC-high 583 turnovers this season (29.15 per game).
- Kentucky has forced at least 10 turnovers in 34 of 40 halves this season.
- Kentucky won the turnover battle (17-23).
- UK has forced at least 20 turnovers in 18 of 20 games this season.
- UK got great production from its bench, outscoring Florida’s bench 26-15.
- The Wildcats are 16-1 when its bench outscores the opponent’s bench.
- The Wildcats outrebounded Florida 42-39.
- UK has won or tied the rebounding battle in 14 of 20 games, including eight by more than 10.
· With three made 3-pointers, UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 277.
· Kentucky went 11-14 from the free-throw line in the final minute combined of its two victories over Florida this season.
- Attendance was 7,888.
- The crowd is the eighth largest in Memorial Coliseum history.
- Sophomore guard Kastine Evans scored 10 points, including a career-high tying two 3-pointers, and grabbed a season-high tying seven rebounds.
- Evans’ 10 points are her most since scoring 11 vs. Samford on Dec. 21.
- Evans has hit at least one 3-pointer in each of the last three games.
- Senior guard Keyla Snowden scored a team-high 11 points and went 5-6 from the free-throw line in the final minute to preserve the Kentucky victory.
- Sophomore forward Samarie Walker scored nine points and grabbed seven rebounds to go with a career-high tying three blocks and a career-high tying three steals.
- Freshman guard Bria Goss grabbed a career-high nine rebounds.
- In the UK freshman record books, Goss’ 11.7 points per game average is on pace to be the sixth highest, her 15 double-figure scoring games are tied for the ninth most, and her 25 made 3-pointers are tied for the eighth most by a UK freshman.
· Junior forward Brittany Henderson had a season-high three steals and scored eight points.