Lexington Firefighters said the dry weather is causing an unusually high number of grass and mulch fires.
Yesterday, crews said they put out twelve grass fires on Friday.
They blame carelessness for so many fires at this time of year.
Here are some things they said to be mindful of at this time of year.
- Ensure that smoking materials are completely extinguished and discarded in a safe manner. Never discard lit cigarettes, especially from cars or in areas with vegetation.
- Avoid recreational or open cooking fires in dry, windy weather. Use a grill with a cover instead.
- Never leave any grill, recreational or cooking fire unattended for any reason.
- Ensure that cooking fires and grills are put out by dousing them with water before you go inside, or leave the picnic or camping area.
- Regardless of the season, ensure that children know not to play with matches and lighters. Make sure children know what to do in the event of a fire.