Versailles Family Homeless After Fire

Versailles Family Homeless After Fire

Versailles family has to find another place to stay after fire.
     This is what Margaret Gay came home to find---Woodford County firefighters spraying water on her home, trying to put a fire out.  She and her husband were on their way to Lexington to pick up their grandkids around 5 Friday night when she got a call from her brother who also lives at the home at 216 Clochester Drive in Versailles.

     "We'd only been gone for about 10 minutes and he said the house was on fire.  We immediately turned around and returned home," says Gay.

     She says her brother went to take a shower, smelled smoke, went back to his bedroom on the second floor and saw flames shooting out of his door.  He was able to get out of the home safely and no one else was there at the time.

     "It's a blessing that no one else was hurt," explains Gay.

     The fire chief says a cause has yet to be determined but Gay says she may know what happened,"We have been having problems with our furnace.  We've had someone out two days in a row."

     The family does have insurance and even though there's probably tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage, it could've been much worse.

     "We can't go in.  It's no longer livable.  It's hard.  We've been in this house for a long time.  We've put a lot of work into it and even though, it's the holidays, we'll just go on and rebuild and just be thankful," comments Gay. 

     The family is planning on staying with relatives in Lexington temporarily.
Page: [[$index + 1]]