The Lexington Fire Department said improperly discarded smoking materials were to blame in the deadly fire Wednesday morning.
Fire officials said three people were killed in a house fire that began before 5:30 a.m. on Buckingham lane.
The Fayette County coroner said all three victims were believed to be handicapped and there were oxygen tanks in the home.
Fire officials said it appeared that the residents tried to get out, but were unsuccessful.
According to the fire chief, a passerby noticed the fire and started banging on the door.
That person said no one answered.
Later, firefighters confirmed there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
There is no word yet on the identity of the three victims.