The leading cause of deaths in house fires is caused by heating equipment. The Lexington Fire Department has some tips to keep you safe, while you keep warm.
1) Keep anything that might burn at least three feet away from heating equipment.
2) Turn off any portable heaters when you're going to bed or leaving the room.
3) Never use an oven to heat your home.
4) Make sure furnaces and chimneys are checked and cleaned by professionals every year before using them.
5) During daytime hours, open your blinds to let the sunlight warm your home. Although it may raise the temperature by just a couple of degrees, every little bit helps.