Convicted Killer Wants New Trial

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 2/14/2012 7:09 pm
     A Fayette County Judge will take more time to decide whether or not Donald Southworth will get a new trial.  Southworth's attorneys filed the motion for a new trial earlier this month after he was convicted of murder in the 2010 killing of his wife Umi Southworth.  Tuesday, judge Kimberly Bunnell overruled all but one of the defense's arguments for a new trial.

     The defense says that during deliberations, jurors asked to see divorce papers that were found in a trash can but they were given a copy, not the original document that was presented in court.  But, the prosecution says it wouldn't have made a difference and cites the fact that it took the jury less than three hours to convict Southworth of murder.

     "They were out 2 and a half hours and they ate lunch during that period of time. They came back and found him guilty of murder. They came back shortly thereafter with a sentence of life.  They didn't seem to have the least bit of problem and I don't think anything that's been raised in this motion for a new trial.. I don't think it will change anything," says Fayette Commonwealth's Attorney Ray Larson.
    
     "It's clear for the record that they asked to see an exhibit, through nobody's fault, a different exhibit was given to them and they immediately noticed it was different and then very shortly thereafter they reached a verdict," explains Southworth's defense attorney Russell Baldani.

    The judge has set a hearing to discuss this for February 21st.  Southworth is scheduled to be sentenced on February 24th.  His defense attorneys say if their request for a new trial is denied, they will file an appeal with the Kentucky Supreme Court.
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Most Popular
Witnesses Record Standoff In Richmond Saturday Night
Two men saw the standoff in Richmond Saturday night between multiple law enforcement agencies and 29-year-old Jesse Aaron Gibbons, and recorded it. Troopers said Gibbons died on the way to the hospital. Video Video
UPDATE: Suspect Shot To Death By Police Identified
The Fayette County Coroner released the name of the man shot and killed by police after a shootout in Richmond Saturday night. Video Video
Five Arrested In Laurel County Drug Bust
Five people were arrested Saturday morning after deputies found they had drugs in their home. Video Video
Judge: Too Late to Sue for Misdiagnosis of HIV
A big court ruling involving a Lexington man who claimed UK doctors mistakenly told him he was HIV positive only to find out nearly a decade later, he wasn’t. Video Video
Suspect Dies After Chase And Shootout With Police
Lexington police say the suspect assaulted an officer in Lexington. The suspect fled south to Richmond, where KSP says the suspect fired at officers. KSP says officers returned fire, and the suspect died at UK Hospital
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.