Main Street in Paris was closed for about two hours Tuesday evening and people in a section of downtown were evacuated as a precaution following a gas leak.
Paris Fire Department officials said a crew that was clearing rocks out of a lot to put in a fence accidentally hit a gas line, causing a leak.
This happened near the intersection of East Main Street and Pleasant Street.
As a precaution, fire officials evacuated people within a one block radius of the leak site.
Columbia Gas was called-in to fix the leak, which was contained by 8:30 p.m.
No one was injured.
Main Street was reopened and people were allowed to return to their homes and apartments by 9:30 p.m.