Mitch Barnhart's Statement On IU Series Ending

Contributor: Alex Risen
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 5/03/2012 7:08 pm

Statement from UK Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart on Indiana men’s basketball series…

“We are extremely disappointed in Indiana’s decision to end our annual men’s basketball series. We were under the impression that we were in continued negotiations with Indiana University on signing a two-year contract to play the annual game at neutral sites. After the NCAA Championships, both schools verbally agreed in principle to play for two years at neutral sites (December 8, 2012 and December 7 or 14, 2013) and agreed to revisit campus sites upon completion of the two-year deal. The public comments by Indiana prior to today over the last week led us to believe that our previous verbal agreement could be in jeopardy, but at no point did we ever have any mutual discussions with Indiana to end the series.  We were contacted by Indiana today shortly before 2 p.m. ET and informed that due to our desire to move to neutral sites they were moving on for the 2012-13 season and would revisit continuing the series at a later date. Our desire to play the series at a neutral site was due mainly to the success of the series from 1992-2006. It allowed the fans of both schools to enjoy the experience of one of the greatest rivalries every year.  Everyone that watched or attended those games said it was a great atmosphere for college basketball. We looked at this as an opportunity to recapture that atmosphere and unfortunately it ended today.”

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Most Popular
Man reported missing in Ky. found dead in Tenn.
A man reported missing from western Kentucky has been found dead in northern Tennessee.
Traffic Stop Leads To Drug Arrest In Wolfe County
A traffic stop in Wolf county led to the arrest of a 66-year-old man who troopers said had four pounds of marijuana in his car.
Man Arrested In California In Kentucky Case From 1971
A grand jury in Louisville charged a man with murder in the death of a toddler more than 40-years ago.
Gas Line Explosion Injures 2; Closes Highway
An explosion east of Louisville Wednesday afternoon injured at least two people and closed down U.S. 42.
Lexington Police Searching For Suspects In Drive-By Shooting
Lexington police say they're looking for a dark passenger car and the two men police believe fired two gunshots at a car around ten this morning.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.