A Lexington couple spent Friday morning, picking up the pieces, after a fire ripped through their 2-story home Thursday night.
The fire started just after 9:30 on Prince Albert Way in the Southpoint sub-division.
"After looking at the house, a lot of the upstairs stuff is still there though, so we're lucky. But, the downstairs is obliterated," says homeowner, Edward Addams
Edward and Carin Addams have lived in this home for the last seven years, but thursday night, the couple dealt with their first fire.
Investigators say flames ignited in the basement of the addams home, then quickly spread into the walls of the house.
"You couldn't see, you couldn't breathe, you couldn't do anything. It was just black," adds Addams
Luckily, Edward, his wife, Carin and their 3-year-old son, made it out of the burning home without being hurt, but this fire is just one of the many battles, the Addams family, has had to tackle over the last several years.
"I've worked for breast cancer, my wife's had breast cancer. She's a nurse. We've seen a lot worse, so," explains Addams
"I live by the motto, god never gives us more than we can't handle, so I take it one day at a time and this is just added on top of my plate," mentions Carin Addams
Many of the Addams furniture, clothes and other household items were damaged in the fire, one item that was left untouched is a scrapbook, complete with stories and dozens of pictures, detailing Carin's fight to beat breast cancer.
"With Carin going through her breast cancer and everything, being the second time around, we have no certainties of what life's going to bring us, so we're thankful for everyday, we live each day. The memories are the hardest part because we have a son and if anything happens, we want a legacy to be left behind and have something for him," says Addams