A Lexington mother said her family's well-being was due to the smoke detectors in her home Monday morning.
Four people got out of a burning home on Lietner Court just before 1 a.m.
The homeowner, who wished to remain anonymous, lives with her mother and her two children. She said she heard the beeping of her smoke detector and went to investigate.
She said she saw her living room window unit air conditioner was on fire and tried to push it out the window.
The woman said she then went outside to use a garden hose on the fire, but a neighbor told her to get her family out.
Firefighters said the left side of the home--including a few rooms inside--and the attic were damaged. The homeowner's car was also damaged by heat.
"It could have been worse. I'm just glad it wasn't the A/C unit in my kids' bedroom that went on fire because...I don't think that anything could've helped them, if it was," she said.
The Red Cross put the family up for the night. No one was injured in the fire.