Lexington Firefighters: Stay Safe While Using Generators

Contributor: Christine Winter
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 12/06/2013 9:02 pm
When the power goes out, some families turn to a generator to keep their home warm.

But the machines can be dangerous.

The Lexington Fire Department is reminding anyone who uses a generator to be aware of the potential for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Firefighters say you should never run a gas generator inside your home.

Don't place your generator near a door or window where air drafts could bring carbon monoxide into your house.

Always keep a carbon monoxide detector nearby when you're using a generator.

And while using it, get out of the house right away if you begin to feel lethargic, nauseous or start having headaches.

Once you are out safely, call the fire department.
Share
Most Popular
Police: Man Breaks Into Home To Take Shower
A man is accused of breaking into a Lexington home just to take a hot shower.
Woman Accused Of Stealing Lingerie Then Flushing It
A woman was arrested after police said she stole items from Victoria's Secret then flushed it down the toilet at another store.
Harlan ER doctor suspended by Kentucky board
A Knoxville, Tennessee, doctor practicing at Harlan Appalachian Regional Healthcare Hospital has had his license suspended by the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure.
Police: Man Robbed Lexington Walmart Pharmacy For Drugs
Lexington Police said that a man wanted drugs when he held up a Walmart Pharmacy.
SUV Flips On I-75 Entrance Ramp In Lexington
Investigators said a driver was taken to the hospital Friday night after he flipped his SUV in Lexington.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.