Lexington Bans Use Of Personal Fireworks

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 7/02/2012 7:13 pm
Lexington has issued a ban on the use of common and consumer fireworks.

The ban will remain in effect until the outdoor burning ban issued last week is lifted.

Lexington Mayor Jim Gray said the ban will not affect the five fireworks public displays that already have permits, including the community fireworks held downtown on July 4th, and the Red, White and Boom display on July 7th at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

“Grass fires are up dramatically because of the extreme conditions … the heat and dry weather,” Gray said. The 100-plus readings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday made it the second-hottest three-day stretch on record for Lexington, second only to a stretch in July 1936.

“We’ve had 135 grass fires in the past 2 weeks in Lexington. Normally we would have no more than a handful in that time.” Gray said. The cause of 11 of those fires was traced to the use of fireworks. Others are related to lightning or cigarette butts, which recently caught mulch on fire at an apartment building and a church. Fire officials are unaware of any serious injuries related to the fires. They encouraged property owners and managers to keep mulch damp.

“It’s better to be safe than sorry,” Gray said. “The decision we’re announcing today will not be popular with some, but it’s the right thing to do … the safe thing to do. We must do what we can to stop fires before they start.”

The ban applies to fireworks that stay on the ground and those that are shot up into the air. Both can start fires.

The city has already responded to numerous calls about fireworks. In addition to raising concerns about fires, many citizens complain about noise. A city ordinance enacted last year restricts the use of fireworks after 10 p.m. to three days, July 3 and 4 and December 31.

Forecasters predict that temperatures will not reach triple digits this week. After today, city officials say there are no immediate plans to continue to expand hours at Dunbar Center for those who need a place to cool off. Pool admittance prices, which have remained at half-price since Friday, are expected to return to normal Tuesday.


Share
Most Popular
More than 30 teens escape from detention center
A spokesman says more than 30 teens escaped from a Nashville, Tenn. youth detention center and 17 are still being sought.
Kentucky prepares to regulate ride sharing
State regulators are preparing emergency regulations that will go into effect next month to govern ride sharing companies like Uber and Lyft as they expand their services into Kentucky cities.
Coroner: Elderly Mercer Co. Couple Die in Apparent Murder-Suicide
The Mercer County Coroner has confirmed that an elderly couple were found dead in their home Sunday night following an apparent murder-suicide.
Police: One In Critical Condition After Shooting
A man was critically injured during a shooting in Shelby County Monday night. Video Video
Former High School Football Coach Charged with Sodomy, Sexual Abuse
According to deputies in Pulaski County, a former high school football coach has been arrested on charges of sodomy and sexual abuse.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.