Lex FD: Wrong Fireplace Installations Can Lead to House Fires

Lex FD: Wrong Fireplace Installations Can Lead to House Fires

Firefighters say a wood stove insert was the cause of a house fire in Lexington Thursday morning.
An early morning fire on Winthrop Dr. in Lexington displaced a family of six Thursday morning.

Firefighters say that the homeowner did not clean out the flue in the past five years, but says that was not the primary cause of the fire.

Investigators determined that it was a wood stove insert that overheated the piping, that lead to the fire.

Chimney and fireplace experts say that's a common misconception made by many homeowners. They say a wood stove insert gives off significant more heat than your normal fire place. They say if your piping is not up the necessary heat rating for a wood stove insert, the piping can buckle and collapse and cause a fire inside the walls of your home.

Experts say if you want install a wood stove insert you should first call the fire department or a professional to come out and inspect your fire place.

For more fireplace safety tips click on the link to the Chimney Safety Institute of America below.

Chimney Safety Institute of America 
Page: [[$index + 1]]