The Junction City Fire Department responded to 355 W. Shelby Street around 4 a.m. this morning for a home that was fully engulfed. Officials say the fire destroyed the home but thankfully no one was injured.
Fire officials say there was no one home at the time of the fire, the fire officials say this is a good opportunity to warn folks of all the dangers of those heating appliances that we turn on this time of year.
Fire officials tell me luckily there was no one home at the time of the fire, The fire officials say this is a good opportunity to warn folks of all the dangers of those heating appliances that we turn on this time of year."
Firefighter say even the smallest of space heaters can end up causing damage like this.
They say that's why it's important to make sure to put those heating appliances out of harms way.
"at this time of year especially with the holidays coming around, you're going to have a lot of family and kids. If you are using Space heater or a fireplace don't leave them unattended. Don't let kids run around and play near them. Don't leave anything flammable near them"
Officials also say when getting your fire place ready for the season...make sure you get your chimney swept. And make sure it's swept before every year.
"once you start getting that good buildup of last years burns it's just as flammable as anything else in your house."
Officials say it's also a good time to make sure those smoke detectors have fresh batteries... That way if you do face worst-case scenario you plenty of warning.
"Once we get the call you actually have about 18 minutes before that roof collapses in. So that's not much time to get loved ones out."
"And as the weather gets colder it gets easier and easier to fall asleep in front of those fireplaces.... But fire officials want to warn you to make sure to put those fires out before going to bed.