Instant Racing Challenge

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 4/25/2012 8:38 pm
Opponents of Kentucky’s creep toward casino gambling were back in court Wednesday trying to stop instant racing.  The controversy over the new type of bet has been in the courts since 2010 when regulations were altered by the Kentucky Racing Commission to allow the wager.
 
"It's all a shell game,” Stan Cave, attorney for the anti-gambling group, The Family Foundation, told the three judge Kentucky Court of Appeals panel.
 
"I don't think anybody with a straight face can say that a two by two, three second vignette on a video lottery terminal is a horse race,” Cave added.
 
Kentucky Downs, in Franklin near Kentucky’s border with Tennessee, was the first horse track to offer the bet in September of last year.  Bettors wager on past races from a cache of 21,000 videos.  The last three seconds of the race is show on the slot-like machine.
 
Lawyers for the racing panel and the state’s eight horse tracks claim the wager is on “genuine, legitimate” horse races and it is not a slot machine.
 
Judge Joseph Lambert noted instant racing is “a far cry” from what you see at Churchill Downs.
 
Judge Janet Stumbo voiced a concern about the lake of details in the court record about how instant racing works.  “There’s nothing in the court record that explains how the odds are set or where the money comes from,” said Stumbo.
 
The Family Foundation was upbeat after Wednesday’s oral arguments about its chances of disqualifying instant racing.  “From my perspective it was smoke and mirrors,” said Kent Ostrander of The Family Foundation.  “So, I'm very optimistic and pleased with what we presented today."
 
But, the horse industry says the new bet is a vital first step to surviving the “siege” from other states on breeder incentives and racing purses.
 
"Until we are put on a level competitive playing field we feel that instant racing serves as a kind of life preserver,” said Patrick Neely of KEEP, an industry lobbying group.
 
Judge Sara Combs called the case “interesting” and “important” and said the three judge panel will “take a very hard look” at the issue and make a ruling in four to six weeks.
 

Share
Most Popular
Witnesses Record Standoff In Richmond Saturday Night
Two men saw the standoff in Richmond Saturday night between multiple law enforcement agencies and 29-year-old Jesse Aaron Gibbons, and recorded it. Troopers said Gibbons died on the way to the hospital. Video Video
UPDATE: Suspect Shot To Death By Police Identified
The Fayette County Coroner released the name of the man shot and killed by police after a shootout in Richmond Saturday night. Video Video
Five Arrested In Laurel County Drug Bust
Five people were arrested Saturday morning after deputies found they had drugs in their home. Video Video
Judge: Too Late to Sue for Misdiagnosis of HIV
A big court ruling involving a Lexington man who claimed UK doctors mistakenly told him he was HIV positive only to find out nearly a decade later, he wasn’t. Video Video
Suspect Dies After Chase And Shootout With Police
Lexington police say the suspect assaulted an officer in Lexington. The suspect fled south to Richmond, where KSP says the suspect fired at officers. KSP says officers returned fire, and the suspect died at UK Hospital
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.