Smoke detectors alerted an off-duty Bourbon County firefighter to a fire inside his home early Thursday morning, enabling him to get his family out safely.
Firefighters from six different agencies showed up to fight the fire, which broke out around 1:15 a.m. at the home on Hume Bedford Road in Paris.
After smoke detectors awoke the firefighter, officials said he was able to get his wife, 10-month-old baby and pet dog out safely.
Fire officials said the cause is still under investigation, but it appeared a malfunction in a wood-burning fireplace sparked the blaze.
Crews were able to contain the bulk of the damage to the roof and attic area.
Officials said they are unsure if the home will be salvageable. The family will not be able to stay there for a while.