Emptied Fireplace Ashes Start Lexington Fire

Emptied Fireplace Ashes Start Lexington Fire

The fire department says fireplace ashes, not fully out, and emptied into the yard waste bin started a fire that damaged two homes
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AAdelsonABC36

A young couple loses everything in a house fire early Thursday morning. 

Two homes caught fire, and nobody was hurt, but to have your home go up in flames the day after Christmas?

"While it's tragic any time, it's more so around the holidays, because that's a time of family and giving and they lose their Christmas presents.  They lose a lot of the cherished memories," said Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz, Lexington Fire Department.

A fire department spokesperson says the fire started, because somebody emptied their fire place ashes into the yard waste bin.  The spokesperson says the embers were not completely out. 

Firemen arrived, and say they saw heavy fire on the outside of both homes.

"Actually two working house fires at the same time.  They just happened to be sitting side by side, so it made it a little more unique for us," said Nantz.

The two homes sit close together.  The fire department says the ashes were emptied from the house on the right.  That's where they say the fire started, and spread to the second house. 

The family from the second house says they lost everything.  Their grandmother says they all celebrated Christmas together. 

She says they were in Berea until about 11 PM.  Less than 12-hours later, fire burned their belongings.

"For a lot of these folks this time of year can potentially be scarred for the rest of their lives, because of the memory of what happened on this day to them," said Nantz.

To prevent a fire like this, the fire department recommends emptying fireplace ashes into a metal trash can with a lid, and keeping it away from your house.
Page: [[$index + 1]]