Family Escapes House Fire in Nicholasville

Family Escapes House Fire in Nicholasville

A father and his two young daughters escaped a fire that destroyed their Nicholasville home early Saturday morning.

A father and his two young daughters escaped a fire that destroyed their Nicholasville home early Saturday morning.

The family said their faith is keeping them strong.

“I was sleeping and I really feel like the Lord woke me at the right time,” said Steve Kohlman who woke up to a popping noise outside his bedroom window. “I got up, looked out the window and instantly saw the flames coming up the side of the house.”

Kohlman said he grabbed his six and eight-year-old daughters, their family pets and got everyone out of the burning house safely.

“I kept saying Lord just let me wake up and maybe this isn’t what I think it is,” said Kohlman.

Nicholasville fire crews believe the fire started around four o’clock Sunday morning near the electrical meter.  Crews said flames spread up the wall of the house into the attic then through the rest of the home.

“Unfortunately the garage is one of the parts that got hit pretty heavy,” said Kohlman who runs a furniture refurbishing shop out of the garage and gives the proceeds to a mission in Haiti.

“I'm upset but I do have a certain amount of peace that the Lord has given me to say he's going to work some good things through all of this,” said Kohlman.

Kohlman said with Saturday’s warm weather, their garage shop was open and many people came by to buy a lot of the furniture.

As things are scattered across the yard, the Kohlman’s are holding onto their faith.

“It's just stuff that can be replaced and so that's really how we've got to look at it it's beyond our control now,” said Kohlman. “I think in that situation you have to look at that and go we're blessed to just be in the position we are.

The family is now staying with relatives who live up the street.

Kohlman said his daughter's ninth birthday is this week but he said both his girls are focusing on the light at the end of this tunnel.

Fire crews aren’t sure exactly what started this fire and said it could be days before they can get back inside the home to look around again.

Page: [[$index + 1]]