Fire Department: Dryer Fires Too Common

Reported by: Paris Lewbel
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 2/19 8:35 am

An overnight house fire, with a common cause, has Lexington Fire Department officials bringing up an important safety issues.   

Crews were called out to a duplex on the 1600 block of Norwood Circle, originally for the report of light smoke.

When firefighters arrived at the home and opened the front door, they say they found with heavy smoke and the dryer was in flames which were quickly spreading.

Dryer fires are a common occurrence in Lexington, fire officials said. People usually forgot one key thing when they do their laundry.

“The most important thing when using your dryer, it doesn’t matter how big of a load you have in it, is empty your lint. After every usage, as soon as you get done and take your clothes out, clean your lint trap out,” Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz said. “That will keep the majority of the problems away.”

Fire officials aren’t yet sure if the lint was to blame in this fire, and tell ABC 36 that the age of the dryer could have also been a factor.

Officials also said, in addition to clearing the lint trap, make sure to clean your dryer's exhaust vent, at least once a year.

Share
Most Popular
Overdose confirmed as cause of cheerleader death
A coroner says an accidental overdose caused the death of a University of Louisville cheerleader in July.
UPDATE: Madison Co. Man Pleads Guilty To Three Murders
A Madison County man pleaded guilty Thursday in the deaths of three people in two separate murder cases. Video Video
Louisville baby killed in shooting
Metro Louisville police say they are looking for a suspect in the fatal shooting of a 1-year-old girl.
Accident Closes Part Of I75 In Laurel County
An accident involving a crane closed I75 early Thursday morning.
Nearly 60 Meth Labs Found, Laurel County Road Closed
Laurel County sheriff's deputies found a large amount of meth labs on Paris Karr Road resulting in that road to be closed.
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.