UK Hoops Postgame Notes
Feb. 13, 2012
Final Score: No. 7/7 Kentucky – 54, No. 13/11 Tennessee – 91
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky falls to 21-4, 10-2 SEC, while Tennessee improves to 18-7, 9-3 SEC.
- Kentucky is 8-49 against Tennessee all-time, and 2-21 when the game is played in Knoxville.
- UK head coach Matthew Mitchell is 2-8 against the Lady Tigers.
· The Cats went 1-1 vs. the Lady Vols this season.
- Coach Matthew Mitchell is 137-82 overall and 107-53 at UK.
- Kentucky is 649-468 in 38 years of varsity play.
- The Wildcats are 142-215 all-time in SEC play, and 45-27 under the direction of Mitchell.
- UK is 4-2 in SEC road games this season.
- Kentucky plays again Thursday at Alabama at 7:30 p.m. ET.
First Half Notes
- Kentucky used the starting lineup of Amber Smith, A’dia Mathies, Bria Goss, Kastine Evans and Brittany Henderson for the 10th straight game. UK is 11-2 with this lineup.
- UK has started a freshman in 128-of-160 games in the Matthew Mitchell era, including 95 straight.
- Trailing 6-18 at the 13:37 mark, Kentucky went on a 10-3 run to cut the UT lead to five at 16-21 at the 9:20 mark.
- Tennessee’s 14-0 run stretching from the 6:46 to 4:36 mark in the first half to take a 39-18 lead is the largest run by a Kentucky opponent this season.
- Junior guard A’dia Mathies scored a team-high 10 points in the opening half.
- Kentucky trailed Tennessee 28-46 heading into the locker room.
- The Wildcats are 4-4 this season when trailing at the half, 2-2 in SEC play.
- Tennessee’s 46 first-half points tie a season high for a UK opponent. Notre Dame also scored 46 points in the opening stanza (12/18/11).
- Kentucky’s 18-point first half deficit was its largest this season.
Second Half Notes
- Kentucky held Tennessee without a field goal for the opening 2:31 of the half, scoring four of the half’s opening five points.
- After playing just two minutes in the first half due to foul trouble, freshman guard Bria Goss came out of the second half on fire, scoring 10 of UK’s opening 12 points, including 10 straight following Mathies’ layup to open the half.
- Freshmen scored 19 of Kentucky’s 26 points in the second half, with Goss scoring 15 and Bra’Shey Ali scoring four.
- Kentucky forced 19 turnovers in the game.
- UK has forced double-digit miscues in 107 consecutive games. The Cats are 78-29 during that span.
- Kentucky has forced an SEC-high 719 turnovers this season (28.76 per game).
- Kentucky has forced at least 10 turnovers in 42 of 50 halves this season.
· With four made 3-pointers, UK extended its streak of consecutive games with a triple to 282.
- Attendance was 14,807.
- Freshman guard Bria Goss scored a team-high 15 points, all in the second half, after playing just two minutes in the first half due to foul trouble.
- It was Goss’ 18th double-figure scoring game of the season, tied for the fourth most in UK freshman history.
- Goss’ 29 made 3-pointers this season are the seventh most in UK freshman history. Goss is one shy of moving into a tie for sixth place with Stacey Reed (1991-92).
- Junior guard A’dia Mathies scored 12 points, grabbed a team-high tying four rebounds, passed out a team-high tying two assists and had two steals.
- Mathies’ 12 points give her 1,285 points in her career. She is 15th on the all-time scoring list and is 52 points shy of tying Belitta Croley at No. 14 all-time.
- Mathies has recorded at least one steal in 23 of 24 games played this season.
- Has scored 10 or more points in 19 of the 24 games she’s played this season.
- Sophomore forward Samarie Walker scored six points and grabbed a team-high tying four rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Bernisha Pinkett scored 10 points, including two 3-pointers.
- Pinkett’s 10 points are the most she’s scored since Jan. 8, when she scored 10 against Mississippi State.
- Pinkett’s two 3-pointers made tie a season-high.