Campton Boy Bitten By Copperhead

Campton Boy Bitten By Copperhead

A 10-year-old from Campton was bitten by a copperhead. A snake expert explains how to avoid venomous snakes this summer.
10-year-old Shane Blackburn says he was hiking with a church group in eastern Kentucky when a copperhead bit him above his ankle. Shane spent two days in the hospital and continues to recover at his home in Campton.

Copperheads are common across eastern Kentucky, but it is possible to avoid them. The curator of the Kentucky Reptile Zoo says, "Like all snakes, they're defensive, not aggressive."

She recommends closely watching where you step or touch to make sure you are not too close to any snakes, which will attack if you scare them.

Copperhead bites are rarely deadly, but can cause permanent damage to people.
Page: [[$index + 1]]