The Better Business Bureau of Central Eastern Kentucky urges residents who may have experienced property damage from severe storms that rolled through the Bluegrass Tueaday night to use the BBB when looking for help hiring reputable repair companies.
"Some residents may need tree removal, basement pumping and waterproofing, roof and building repair, even auto body repair," said Heather Clary, BBB of Central & Eastern Kentucky Director of Communications.
"The BBB can help consumers find reputable businesses to hire and help them avoid losing their money to less reputable contractors."
Tips for Hiring a Company to Repair Storm Damage:
1. Get the company's complete name, address and phone number. Be skeptical of any vague or hesitant answers, or no offers of contracts, brochures, or anything in writing. Beware of high pressure…a reputable company will let you check them out first.
2. Check out local and out-of-state businesses with the Better Business Bureau by logging on to www.bbb.org. Get a list of BBB Accredited Businesses in central and eastern Kentucky by visiting www.bluegrass.bbb.org or calling the BBB at 1-800-866-6668. If a business says they are BBB Accredited, verify it by calling the BBB or checking our website first.
3. Verify that the company has liability and worker's comp insurance, as well as licensing if required. If a contractor cannot provide proof of it, beware.
4. Get a written contract for work to be done. This helps protect the consumer and the business. If it's an out-of-town or out-of-state company, ask how any warranty issues or problems will be addressed long after work is done and the company is gone.
5. NEVER pay the entire amount of the job up front.