Fire crews responded to the Village Apartments around midnight for reports of a gas leak, officials said.
Once firefighters arrived, they found that the vacant apartment had been burglarized. They said, the walls were covered in graffiti, the faucets were left running and the gas stove was left running.
Because the apartment was filled with gas, crews worked quickly to ventilate the apartment. It also prompted a call to arson investigators to see if someone was trying to intentionally set the apartment on fire.
According to police officials, the investigation has been turned over to the fire department.