ABC 36 Sports @ 6 (3-9-12)

Reported by: Alex Risen

Reported by: Dan Rieffer
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 3/09/2012 8:07 pm
More recap and preview of tomorrow later @ 11!

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - John Calipari sounded like a coach trying to
explain away a loss.
      No. 1 Kentucky wasn't just supposed to beat LSU, it was supposed
to win comfortably. Instead, the Wildcats labored through an
18-turnover performance in which the feisty Tigers led early in the
second half and never trailed by more than nine before Kentucky
closed out a 60-51 victory Friday in the second round of the
Southeastern Conference tournament.
      "I'll go back and watch the tape and see what adjustments (need
to be made), because people will be watching the tape, saying `This
is how you need to play them,"' Calipari said. "And we have been
played every way possible."
      Michael Kidd-Gilchrist helped Kentucky overcome its early
lethargy, scoring 10 of his 19 points in the opening 20 minutes
before his fellow Wildcats came alive in the second half.
      Terrence Jones added 15 points and 11 rebounds, including a 9-0
run by himself that gave the Wildcats (31-1) the lead for good as
they extended their winning streak to 23 games. Anthony Davis added
12 points and 14 rebounds after a slow start, and Doron Lamb scored
      Lamb credited the Tigers with turning up the intensity, adding
that the Wildcats perhaps should have anticipated that, given LSU
(18-14) would hardly be guaranteed a postseason tournament berth if
it lost.
      "It might be their last game of the season and they just came
out with a fight and were hungry," Lamb said. "They punched us in
the face in the first half, and in the second half we fought back
and pulled out the win."
      Kentucky next plays in the tournament semifinals Saturday
against Florida, which advanced by beating Alabama 66-63.
      Storm Warren scored 14 for LSU, which came in as a 17-point
underdog after beating Arkansas in Thursday's opening round. The
Tigers led by as much as five points early in the second half
before Jones' surge turned the tide.
      "I didn't want my season to end," Warren said. "I just pretty
much came out and laid it on the line."
      Andre Stringer added 11 points for the Tigers, who might have
had a real chance to pull off the upset if they could have shot
better than 29.4 percent (20 of 68).
      "A tough, tough, tough loss," LSU coach Trent Johnson said.
"I thought we competed as hard and as good as we have all year.
It's unfortunate for us that we had some shots that didn't go down
for us. ... But let's give credit to them. That's not a good
basketball team that beat us. That's a great basketball team."
      LSU held the lead early in the second half, thanks to an 11-2
run highlighted by Ralston Turner's transition 3-pointer and his
driving finger roll.
      Then Jones, who scored a season-high 27 points when these teams
met earlier in the season, threw down an alley-oop lob from Darius
Miller and soon after drove the baseline for another dunk.
      "Our coach challenged us to be more aggressive, said that they
were being more physical than us in the first half," Jones said.
"We just tried to step that up in the second half by getting to
the foul line, by just going through bumps."
      Jones' putback gave Kentucky the lead for good at 37-35, and
soon after Davis began to find his typically smooth stroke, scoring
11 of his points in the second half. While Kentucky never led by
double digits, it never appeared seriously threatened during the
final five minutes, after LSU's 6-foot-9, 262-pound forward Johnny
O'Bryant fouled out.
      Turner and guard Anthony Hickey, a Kentucky native, each
finished with 10 points for the Tigers, who lost for the fourth
time in five games.
      The Wildcats shot 43 percent (18 of 42) and outrebounded LSU
42-36, but their turnovers were double their average for the
season, helping the Tigers stay within single digits.
      Kentucky entered the game not only as a heavy favorite but had
the crowd overwhelmingly in its favor, despite the fact the game
was being played 85 miles from LSU's Baton Rouge campus.
      The Tigers hardly looked intimidated though, turning in a
scrappy defensive performance. LSU forced nine turnovers in the
first half and held the Wildcats to under 32 percent shooting while
holding the lead for much of the first 20 minutes.
      LSU went in front with an early 10-1 run ignited by Hickey's
layups and capped by 3s each by Stringer and Turner, the last
making it 12-7.
      Kentucky got little production early from Davis, who had four
turnovers and only one point before going to the bench for the last
seven minutes of the half with two fouls. The Wildcats led only
25-24 at halftime after Lamb's jumper late in the period.
      "They just got really physical and made it tough," Calipari
said of LSU. "They got balls from us. They made baskets. We missed
layups. We turned lazy passes over. They're shooting breakout
layups. ... I'm happy we won. Now we've got to go on and figure
some of this stuff out."

0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Most Popular
Witnesses Record Standoff In Richmond Saturday Night
Two men saw the standoff in Richmond Saturday night between multiple law enforcement agencies and 29-year-old Jesse Aaron Gibbons, and recorded it. Troopers said Gibbons died on the way to the hospital. Video Video
UPDATE: Suspect Shot To Death By Police Identified
The Fayette County Coroner released the name of the man shot and killed by police after a shootout in Richmond Saturday night. Video Video
Five Arrested In Laurel County Drug Bust
Five people were arrested Saturday morning after deputies found they had drugs in their home. Video Video
Judge: Too Late to Sue for Misdiagnosis of HIV
A big court ruling involving a Lexington man who claimed UK doctors mistakenly told him he was HIV positive only to find out nearly a decade later, he wasn’t. Video Video
Suspect Dies After Chase And Shootout With Police
Lexington police say the suspect assaulted an officer in Lexington. The suspect fled south to Richmond, where KSP says the suspect fired at officers. KSP says officers returned fire, and the suspect died at UK Hospital
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital. supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.