Hidden Home Poison Dangers For Kids

Reported by: Lauren Gawthrop
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 6/05/2012 8:05 am
Kids will put just about anything in their mouth. So, obvious poisons are typically locked up, but some things may look harmless and can still make a child very sick.

Pills often can be confused with candy, that includes vitamin supplements. Pediatricians say iron pills are a notorious offender that look like M&M's and can cause vomiting, diarrhea and death.

Baby powder can cause serious breathing trouble if it is inhaled by child.

Some house plants and outdoor flowers or shrubs are poisonous, so kids need to understand why they should only sniff the flowers.

Things like mouthwash, facial cleaners, and perfumes are a danger because of the alcohol content, and you have to pay close-attention to your kids during summer or holiday parties.

"If you have the party where your friends put their glass with the leftover alcoholic beverage down and your toddler goes and finishes every glass, that can lead to coma and death and it looks like the kid just went to sleep," said Dr. Ellen Rome of Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital.

Dr. Rome says magnets and button batteries can cause serious health problems when swallowed, and she says nail glue removers and primers should always be kept out of the hands of children.
Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
   

WTVQ.com supports children's privacy rights. All persons under the age of 13 MUST have parental permission to use this website and direct parental supervision is strongly recommended.